• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Electric Smokers?

I have a Cookshack Smokette which is similar in size to the Bradley.

Pros:
- Almost set-it-and-forget-it
- Very good food
- Moist cooking environment so food never dries out
- Great for cold weather cooks (it has 1000 degree insulation)
- Can also be used as a low temp oven if you don't want smoke flavor
- Cooks a mean prime rib!
- Great support
- Great web forum
- Easy clean up
- Can use any type of wood (The bradley requires special "bisquettes"

Cons:
- A little small. Big briskets have to either be cut of folded. Ribs either have to be hung from hooks or cut in half or rolled.
- No smoke ring (it's a wierd science thing that has to do with the way the wood is burned)
- It's a moist cooking environment (I know, I listed this as a pro also. If you want to dry things (like jerky), you have to fool around a bit, but it works.

I use mine for overnight cooks and whenever the weather sucks.

Had a bradley. Worked great until the coil unit went out - which was way to early in it's life.

Some things to note:
1. a little small for anything other than cooking for yourself...
2. The bradley uses biscuits. They tend to be pricey compared to chips or pellets. And you cant get them "everywhere" like chips
3. The biscuits swell and jam or crumble.... but do produce decent smoke.
4. is a simple "set it and forget it" when all is working smoothly.
5. makes great deer sticks.

I don't know how it prices out compared to the Cookshack models.... but the cookshacks seem to hold up better than the bradley did for me. Don't know a cookshack owner that isnt happy with the product.

A good gas offering is this one: http://www.kck.com/bbq/info/gas_grills_smoker24.htm

It has chip box, water jacket, and once you set the gas, has great indirect heat. You can also crank the gas, leave out the water, and it makes a great gas grill too. I have smoked ribs in this many times and love it. BUT - it is gas, so you have to light it, and swap bottles occasionally, etc..... vs. the electric which you just plug in and go....

You are a good son. What ever you choose, your Dad will love it and you.

I have a cookshack also.. Works like a dream when the weather sucks here also. Check out this website .http://www.lamaine.com/bbq/
Per the Cookshack forum, some folks add a couple of charcoal briquetts for more of a smoke ring. Got to say this Cookshack has the best customer service dept that Ive ever dealt with.

Good Luck on your decision, your dad will be very very happy.

Mike

yap,thats a good son.i wish my son would read this and get one for himself.. and stop useing my stuff..but i still love you son..

man, those are expensive for no smoke ring. i'd go with a bullet type gas assist smoker. he can add wood or charcoal to the fire pan and it'll smoke when the propane burner heats it up enough.

fivelombardis said:
man, those are expensive for no smoke ring.

What does smoke ring have to do with price? For that matter, what does smoke ring have to do with anything but appearance? I haven't seen any information that shows that having a smoke ring improves flavor. It just doean't look the same, that's all.

And as BBQBull pointed out, if you want a smoke ring just add a couple of briquettes to the wood box. I've tried it and the meat had a smoke ring. It still tasted the same, but it had a smoke ring.

Not trying to rain on anybodys parade here butttttttt......A smoke ring doesnt affect the taste of the food whatsoever. KCBS judging criteria.....sp?also says meat isnt to be judged by a smoke ring in the presentation scoring.
I think Cookshack Smokers do an awesome job. I purchased mine while living in my apartment. It was the only way I could eat bbq on the second floor during the winter. It shure didnt have the ambience of using a stick burner but when ya leave home due to circumstances way above my contol. But the food sure tasted fine. Just my expierence and 2 cents here.

Mike

who said anything about changing taste or flavor? i just simply made a comment about an expensive product that didn't produce a smoke ring (that i prefer to have on my end product).

sheesh, calm down, i'd love to have one if i could afford one!

fivelombardis said:
who said anything about changing taste or flavor? i just simply made a comment about an expensive product that didn't produce a smoke ring (that i prefer to have on my end product).

sheesh, calm down, i'd love to have one if i could afford one!

Did I sound uncalm? I didn't mean to... :-D That's what I get for typing after not sleeping for 28 hours or something like that. :roll:

I didn't mean to imply that you had said anything about changing taste or flavor. I was pointing out that the absence of a smoke ring didn't change taste or flavor, that's all.

I don't own an electric smoker (though I did almost pick one up for $25 at a thrift store "ECB Gourmet Electric") :-D I looked at the Bradley when I was at Bass Pro Shop - like others have said, it's awful small and looks fragile to me...not the smoke generator, but the "mini-fridge" box and shelves.

I'd seriously look at the Cookshack if I was in the market for an electric. There are some others out there like 'Lil Chief (I think that's the name) and of course the ECB - I've got a friend that uses the ECB electric and has really learned how to get the heat where he wants it.

Cookshacks are great! For a lesser investment, though, a Char-Broil electric cooker is pretty darn good. It is the only one I found that has an adjustable thermostat. It was my third "ECB", and I still use it as my jerky maker. The therm allows me to ramp up the temp, and it is a drier atmosphere than the Cookie. For $60-70, it would be great for someone who doesn't want too hands-on of an adventure.

I think you are on the right track but I would check out cookshack or traeger for pellet smokers.

Back