Cryovac Pork Ribs

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok.. I bought a rack of spares for sunday to try on the WSM. When i opened the package up it definetly smelled of the Brine solution they stick in there 12% i think is what it said. I rubbed em down with Spice's hen and hawg dust and some cracked black pepper. ommiting salt due to the brine. When i pulled them off the WSM. they were very tasty and good lookin. but MY GOD there was enough salt on there to cure em.
Is it possible to get cryovac'ed ribs that are not brined. Last time i got ribs from the meat market they too were cryovac and were also brined.

Most of the time it isnt to bad . but these were way to salty.

Sam's Club. Or a local butcher. EVERYTHING I find in the grocery stores has an enhancement solution in 'em. Fine if you like Ham Ribs and Ham pork butts. I don't particularly like them that way myself.

Don't need no steekin' enhancement here! hehehe!

Last edited:
try hirsh's market in plano,tx....i've had great luck with them...nice buther shop.

giddy up texas

Will check Sams, but i think they use the same ones as Walmart. Plano is a little far for me . bout 2 hours away lol.

I think you have a Market Street there. I know I've seen ribs that weren't pumped full of saline at their Colleyville location.

It will leave an even worse taste in your mouth when you figure out that over 10% of the price of your enhanced meat on a per pound basis is the additional water they add.

I get IBP, Their not injected. I get them at Sams or my local butcher.............45 minutes away from home.

I've had good luck with the IBP ribs at Sam's.. Not so much with the Swift. One of the meat cutter's at Sam's in Grandview Missouri told me that the meat that goes to Walmart is a much lower qaulity than what they get at Sam's, even though they are the same company. Walmart is pumping their packages full of nitrogen so the meat will retain that bright red color no matter what the age is. That stuff can be rancid but still be bright red.

I get my ribs at Sam's. No injection or brine.

I get my ribs from sams or straight from swift or IBP, tyson stuff is always brined, I really hate that. I want to put my own salt on my meat thank you.

YOU PACKERS OUT THERE LET ME SALT MY OWN MEAT PLEASE AND DON'T CHARGE ME FOR WATER.

SCOTTY D

I get mine from Super Kmart. However lately the quality hasn't been up to par. You have to read the label, sometimes they are enhanced, sometimes they aren't. I only buy them when they are not enhanced.

Enhanced is really a poor description. They should just be honest and say "water added for weight."

Boy do I feel dumb. Been going over every thing I could think of to figure out why my loin backs tasted like ham last weekend. DUH. Forgot to read the label.

If you don't have access to any other meat sources for non-brined meat, you might want to try soaking the ribs in a large garbage bag with cold water for a few hours in the fridge and then rinsing them off thoroughly under the faucet by hand before you are ready to rub them.

Back