Grilled hamburger steaks?

Beerbecue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Making a hamburger steak offers great opportunities for seasoning, stuffing etc. and my favorite way to cook them is on the charcoal grill of course. I like to mix in some seasonings and chopped onion and then form oval patties of about 1/2 lb each before grilling. I grill them with the lid down in order to get more smoky flavor,and then finish them with some BBQ sauce. Do any of you guys have favorite grilled hamburger steak recipes and/or techniques?

I like just a good charcoal grilled cheeseburger with lettuce and tomato. Plain and simple.

The only thing I would add is a foil packet that was rubbed generously with butter, then a couple of sliced onions, a box of mushrooms, and a couple more pats of butter dotted on top. Shake a few shakes of garlic powder over it. Seal it up and let it simmer on the grill as you cook the steak. Crack it open and smother the steak after you plate it.

I love hamburger steak....

Chris

i mix different types of meat and pork as well as futzing with the seasonings.

OK, REALLY not being a smart arse here.....

Do you mean ground beef patties? Cube steak? What exactly is a hamburger steak? Hamburger or steak?

that's a good question, now that you mention it. i was going with the *bonanza* version of ground beef.

Wampas, maybe some regions are different so that was a good question. Around here, it is simply taking hamburger and kicking it up a little, not much, with some spices, a little bit of onion, maybe an egg, maybe some bread crumbs, a few spices, (I really like a little basil added) and grilled high heat. Almost like a meatloaf, only milder, that is grilled. I am sure different regions do it different and all would be good.

I assumed we were talking about ground steak, but maybe he's talking about a bunless hamburger sorta thing...a chopsteak if you will? If so, grilled onions and mushrooms for me.

a good hamburger steak smothered in onions and gravy with some homemade mashed potatoes green bean casserole is hard to beat.

Yea Chris, that is what I assumed he was talking about. I see it called chopped steak around here as well.

Back