Insulated Firebox vs. Cooktop/Griddle Firebox: Advantages & Disadvantages?

To answer your question yes you could drape/wrap a insulation blanket over/around the FB. I have the 1/4" FB and I am at 5000' elevation and have cooked on days where the high temp has been in the mid to upper 30's and the only thing I noticed it was easier to keep my temps around 260 to 270. On hot days my cooker runs 275 to 300. Granted I have a small cooker and I truly feel a larger cooker would allow the cooker to run at a lower temp if so desired. I have done cooks where it started to rain and I thought I would have trouble maintaining temps with the rain sizzling off the CC and FB, no change in temp, now I'm sure a monsoon downpour would be a different story. During the summer months my warmer with all dampers closed runs 200 to 225 in winter 175 to 200. I can run lower temps with exhaust dampers open and much higher with bottom dampers open. So the warmer is very versatile. I guess I am trying to sway you toward the warmer. The term warmer is a bit misleading cause it is much more versatile than just keeping food warm or warming splits.

BillN,

I so appreciate the thoroughness of your posts. Our elevation is about the same as yours. Catch is we get the gusting sideways snow that does seem to be a factor.

It's also the kids running around that are probably the biggest factor of all. Today, my son ran past an orange rope line that he knows he can't cross next to the firebox. Scared the hell out of me and I think insulated is doubly the way to go for me. Thank God, the cook had wound down and the fire was just small embers

BillN,

I so appreciate the thoroughness of your posts. Our elevation is about the same as yours. Catch is we get the gusting sideways snow that does seem to be a factor.

It's also the kids running around that are probably the biggest factor of all. Today, my son ran past an orange rope line that he knows he can't cross next to the firebox. Scared the hell out of me and I think insulated is doubly the way to go for me. Thank God, the cook had wound down and the fire was just small embers

I agree, small kids and the cold you get an insulated box makes more sense.

I'm curious if anyone knows someone with an LSG Vertical Slow Smoker on the far end of the cooker. What kind of temps can you hold and maintain on the far side? I like the idea of maybe combining an LSG insulated firebox with the vertical slow smoker on the far side.

However, I'm just worried whether it can generate and sustain the heat needed to do an ultra low and slow brisket, etc. In other words, I wouldn't want to buy the big far-end cabinet only to do jerky, etc. I'd want some real justification spending a 1000 bucks on the vertical slow smoker whereas BillN seems to be able to do it all with the 500 dollar warmer oven on the close end above the firebox. Thoughts? Anecdotes?

Back