My $33 Craigslist WEBER One Touch Gold Find.. advice needed too

S

Smiter Q

Hi all,

Well I been scouring CRAIGSLIST for a month for a weber gold at a good price. Finally scored one for just $33!:clap2:

Was quite happy with the price online, called him Friday eve around 9pm, asked him if he was open to selling it "right now"... and he was. So me and the GF jumped in the little Honda and sped away to pay the nice man $40. He even gave me a full free bag of charcoal to boot! Charcoal ran about $7, so I figure the grill cost me $33!:cool: As I would need the charcoal anyway.:thumb:

The grill was in fair/good shape. Not shiny brandy new, but highly functional. Seems the lid was dropped a few times:doh:, but the lid and bowl are in round:becky:, and fit snug on each other. There are some rusted nicks that I wish to address. I bought some high temp touch up. Will that work????:confused::confused::confused:

Open to ideas about the RUST. Do I need to sand or dremel it away before using the paint??

Thanks for looking and sharing!

Some pics of my "Pre-Owned" WEBER OTG!

$33 bucks
webber1.jpg

New Grate... his was a scary rusty science project.
newgrate.jpg

Rust on handle.. what to do with this???
rustyhandle.jpg

Nicks
scratchrusted.jpg

Touch up I bought... will it work??? Do I need to sand?
IMG_4227.jpg

:thumb::thumb::clap2::clap2:FIRST COOK!!!!:clap2::clap2::thumb::thumb:(camera batt died, so no finished pics)
firstcook.jpg

That is a great find. Those are awsome grills that will last for meny years. I do everything from tri-tip to pizza on mine.

Hey Smiter -
Never tried that porcelain stuff to repair a kettle. I did fix some nicks on our stove with it, and it worked well there.

As far as the rust on the handle mounts, clean that surface rust off real well, mask it off close to the handles and hit ti with some high temp rustoleum. Also, if it appears the handle mounting is lose, I drill a hole through the handle and where it's attached and secure it with a stainless button head bolt with an alan head and put a fender washer with a stainless jam nut on the inside.

BTW, $40 for a OTG is a good score. Got mine for the same price.

Harbormaster,

Thanks for the tips. Have a RYOBI 18v cordless drill. Think that will drill through it?
The handle is a little wobbly, but still firm.

Thanks for the tips. Have a RYOBI 18v cordless drill. Think that will drill through it?
Oh, you are most welcome! (I don't post many of my cooks, but I love working on kettles and am always happy to share what works for me.)
Certainly your Ryobi will work. I do mine with a cordless DeWalt. Take the plastic handles off first. The key to drilling through the porcelain is to not use a real high bit speed. Start with a small bit to get through and go to the size you want drilling at low RPMs. The porcelain is pretty hard,, but once you get through it, your just drilling steel.

You should remove the rust before painting it. A dremel would work great. If you don't remove the rust it will still spread even though its painted. Just sand a little at a time and remove as little material as possible. As for the handles try a brass wire brush or some scotcbrite with WD-40. Should work out fine.

Actually I like what Harbormaster recommends. Remove the handles, repair rust and fasten the handles back on with SS hardware.

Back