Chuckie and Cross Rib in the UDS - **PR0N ALERT!!!**

R

RustyPup

I fired up the UDS for its inaugural cook (except for the burgers I whipped up during the seasoning phase of the build) this morning, and here are the results.

The whole reason I joined this forum in the first place was to thank everyone for the recipe I found here for a Cross Rib roast I cooked on the Weber OTS. We enjoyed those sammies so much, I wanted to do another on the UDS. I also grabbed a Chuckie while we were shopping, and figured this would be the perfect time to cook both. For the Chuckie, I more or less followed the temp guidelines PatioDaddio posted in this thread here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82815

I used a different rub recipe (Montreal Steak seasoning and raw sugar,) but I followed his instructions fairly closely, allowing for the different cooking temp, of course.

I rubbed both cuts with the same rub(s), then put them on the UDS, which was chugging along nicely at about 230°, at about 9:30 this morning. I used KBB and tossed in a chunk of hickory and 2 chunks of oak when I added the meat to the preheated smoker. I kept it running at about 230° + or - about 10° for 2 hours, then decided it was time to check the IT on the cross rib. After just 2 hours in the UDS it was right at 140°. I pulled it off the UDS and checked the IT of the Chuckie. It was at 150°, so I let it cruise on a bit longer.

When it was right at 170° IT, I pulled it off the UDS and wrapped it in foil like PatioDaddio describes in his thread, using a bit of beef broth rather than beer (we don't drink,) then put it back on the UDS to finish cooking. While I had the Chuckie off the UDS, I went ahead and shook the charcoal basket to drop any accumulated ash and give it a chance to settle. I popped the foiled Chuckie back on and let it cruise for another hour. The UDS ran at about 275° after all of the opening, shaking, and closing. After the hour was up, I checked the IT, and it was spot on 200°. I also now know what you guys mean by probe testing until it feels like buttah - that's exactly what it felt like when I inserted the meat thermo.

I'm discovering that the UDS cooks a lot faster than I had anticipated. That's fine with me, however. It's the result that counts with me, and I gotta say that we love them!

We sliced up the cross rib for sammies after resting it for an hour, and I divided up the Chuckie into 2 meal-sized portions after resting it for an hour. Sorry that I didn't get any good pics of the pile of sliced cross rib - I remembered to take pics after we had already packaged it up and got it into the fridge to chill. I shot a quick pic of the pile o' beef we're having for our sammies today.

MANY thanks to PatioDaddio for his recipe, and many many thanks to everyone in the Mother of All UDS Threads for all of your experimentation, trial, error, and sharing your results with the rest of us! I said it before, and I'll continue to scream it from the highest mountain until someone forces me to stop - YOU.GUYS.ROCK!!!

Ok, enough of me - on with the pr0n...

Attachments

• pr0n 2.jpg
    pr0n 2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 191
  • pr0n 1.jpg
    pr0n 1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 192
  • pr0n 3.jpg
    pr0n 3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 191
  • pr0n 4.jpg
    pr0n 4.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 191
  • pr0n 5.jpg
    pr0n 5.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 190
Never heard of a cross rib roast. It's good huh? I found this...

ross rib roast = cross rib pot roast = Boston cut = English cut roast = English roast = thick rib roast = bread and butter cut = beef chuck cross rib pot roast Notes: If boneless, this is sometimes called an English roll. This makes a fine pot roast, but it's too tough to roast with dry heat. Substitutes: arm roast OR blade pot roast OR 7-bone roast

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html

That's the roast, Vision - and yeah, it's great for sammiches. I rub it the night before cooking with Montreal Steak seasoning first, then with raw sugar, wrap it in plastic wrap, then pop it into the fridge overnight. The next day I inject it with a beef broth or whatever and let it warm up a bit while I get the cooker ready. I cook it low and slow to an internal temp of around 140°, then pull it off the cooker and rest it (covered) until it's cool enough to handle and slice - usually about 2 hours.

I like mine on a French or Kaiser roll with a little BBQ sauce and a bit of horseradish sauce.

Back