• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vertical Smoker build-please critique

B

bigkahunaranch

This is my latest project, a vertical smoker with offset firebox.
I have perused alot of different threads on various web sites and am trying to incorperate all that I have learned.

The basic dimensions are shown in the picture, and I have tweeked them some based on the BBQ Pit Builder Calculator web site.

I will be using gaskets on both the firebox and smoking chamber doors.
I plan to build it from 1/4" metal. The opening between the firebox and chamber is 12" x 6.5".

The reason for two exhaust stacks are two fold. 1) Based on the calculator, I need 6" diam. pipe, not readily available in my area, and the place I did find it, sells it in 20 foot lengths. The exhaust stacks are only 24 inches high( again, based on the calculator).
My thought process is that I can use two, 3 inch diam pipes, and by having them offset like in the picture, may create a more even air flow thru the smoking chamber. :confused:

So, if y'all dont mind, please critique my plans, both bad, and good are all welcome.
Thanks
bbqsmoker-2-1.jpg

The only thng I would recommend would be to put a heat shield just above the opening of the fire box into the cooking chamber that sticks out 4" to 6". This will help keep your heat from rising straight out of the fire box and causing aso much of a hot spot in the cooking chamber.

Other than that, it looks like a solid plan. And you're right on point with the stacks. That's what I had to do with my cooker for the same reason.

can't tell from the pic but i would recomend a stand off from the fire box for the shelf unit. it will keep the heat from leaching onto the shelf.
also if you are making from 1/4 material i'd recomend that you put wheels on each corner. you can get locking wheels for one end. make sure you have at least 2 pivoting wheels.
you also may want to put a drain in the bottom of the cooking chamber.

All of the above,+ I like a Fire box with a lid so I can grill steaks 'en such. When you get it build drag it over the hill and I'll put it through the paces.

I don't know how critical it is but the two 3" pipes do not equal a 6" pipe. A 3" circle is about 1/4 the area of a 6" circle.

That's not terribly dissimilar to a Stumps which has a heat deflector across the bottom in addition to the heat shield that Tim mentioned. The deflector runs most of the way across letting smoke enter the chamber from the left side. The heat shield is quite thick. Seems like if you did that the stacks would be best located on the right.

Edit: you can see what I'm talking about in this photo of a Stumps Baby.

2009_baby-5.jpg

I don't know how critical it is but the two 3" pipes do not equal a 6" pipe. A 3" circle is about 1/4 the area of a 6" circle.

This is a good point, but I don't think that it will matter in this case. I think that he will get plenty of draw to move the stale smoke out while bringing fresh air in with 2, 3" stacks.

Thanks to all the replies.
Duh, i had a drain in my mind, just forgot about it.
I also really like the idea of the deflector in the bottom, altho I may just run it about halfway accross. I can tack weld it in place and then do a couple of smokes to see how it works from there.

Again, thanks for all the input, cant wait to get started. I found a fellow with a plasma torch set up and he will cut all the 1/4" sheet metal parts for me.

You might also think of tilting the top inside just slightly to one side or making it peak in the middle so when moisture collects it wont drip sooty nasty water onto your meat. instead it will trickle toward the edge, then run down the walls onto the bottom to the drain.... Jmho!

Also on the deflector if you make a rail along the fornt and back. You could drop in a piece of 1/4" plate steel and slide it back and forth to tune the smokers heat output...

Back