homemade smoker questions

dan_fash

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Here I am again seeking our expert advice, knowing that I'll get a million different opinions, But I want to hear them all, I want to wade knee deep through the info to find my way to my own solution

Wife wants (and is getting) a new back patio this summer, part of which will be an outdor kitchen. Seriously considering building a smoker to go with her new porch. Till now, I've always used a vertical water smoker, charcoal, and now propane. But I've never used offset or any other smokers. Welding is certainly an option, but I'm also curious to know if I could make a brick/stone smoker. Should I just build in a store bought? what would I encounter switching to offset (is there water in an offset??)

size: Currently, I can get a whole brisket and about 3 slabs of ribs in my vertical. Cant imaine needing much more space than that, though I'm open to arguments.

I could accomodate propane or electical, but Natural gas isn't an option.

No ideas ignored (well,not publicly at least)

The biggest draw back with a brick pit is getting it to temp, they take a while but hold heat well once they get warmed up. An offset is a Big Boy pit and require constant attention there is no need or a water pan. There are a few MFGs that make build ins for an outdoor kitchen that are quite nice with the firebox below the oven.

If I were to include just one brick cooker in an ODK my choice would be an Argentine style grill over a smoker.

Check this guy's video out. He cooks a couple butts on a home built brick smoker. I love his brick pit and would love to have one similar to it one day.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMFvEAdXo5s"]Sweet Apple Butts - YouTube[/ame]

He also has a video on his channel of the build process (i think).

Back