MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
wrenbjor
Found some matches.

Default Upgrading from a silver smoker

Hey everyone! New here and I love what I am seeing so far! I have searched the forms but I have not found exactly what I am looking for... I have a Charbroil Silver Smoker it leaks smoke... as if it didnt have a lid. It not easy to keep the temp even and it's rusting and falling apart (I know the last part is my fault...I'll do better next time).

I would like some suggestions on where to go next. I have smoked ribs, pork butt, and salmon. I have used it for direct cooking as well, burgers and steaks.

I love having the room and bigger is better but I would like to start entering into local competitions and I know I need a better smoker for that. I use wood and lump charcoal (wood chunks) when i smoke and I have a few charcoal chimneys.....

I am not a brand snob so any and all suggestions would be great. I want to move to brisket and I want to cook for parties so maybe something that can do two or three pork butts / briskets at the same time would be cool...

Thanks!
wrenbjor is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome!

The next step in a smoker is a big decision but there are lots of options. Personally, I think a UDS is a great choice. After that, a Weber WSM or even a Chargriller Akorn.

If you have a big budget, take a look at the Big Green Egg or even a professional pit like those made by 270 Smokers, Humphries, or Backwoods.

If you really have some money to throw around, look at Klose, Jambo, Stumps, or Myron Mixon pits.

But, for the backyard, it's hard to beat a UDS, Weber WSM, or a Chargriller Akorn, IMO.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
SmittyJonz

A UDS or 2 and you'd be Set. A lot of Guys compete with them.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
A UDS or 2 and you'd be Set. A lot of Guys compete with them.
I've competed with mine sitting right beside my Jambo. Yeah, a UDS is that good. They are awesome, in fact.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
JamieK
On the road to being a farker

I have and am very happy with my UDS, combined with my 22" kettle I can put out alot of food. Weber Smoky Mountains seem good, but I have never used one, and a UDS is far cheaper, and more fun to build and customize.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

Here's a 2 week read for ya:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
SkinEz
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Skinny

Building my second UDS as we speak. Love mine.
SkinEz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
10-8
Full Fledged Farker

The WSM is nice but you can build 2 UDS for less money and have the same great food quality. Plus they are so much easier to maintain a temperature range you want while smoking without constantly adding more fuel.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would definitely look at the pit barrel cooker.check out the reviews at amazing ribs.com. everyone who tries it seems to love it.
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #10
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenbjor View Post
Hey everyone! New here and I love what I am seeing so far! I have searched the forms but I have not found exactly what I am looking for... I have a Charbroil Silver Smoker it leaks smoke... as if it didnt have a lid. It not easy to keep the temp even and it's rusting and falling apart (I know the last part is my fault...I'll do better next time).

I would like some suggestions on where to go next. I have smoked ribs, pork butt, and salmon. I have used it for direct cooking as well, burgers and steaks.

I love having the room and bigger is better but I would like to start entering into local competitions and I know I need a better smoker for that. I use wood and lump charcoal (wood chunks) when i smoke and I have a few charcoal chimneys.....

I am not a brand snob so any and all suggestions would be great. I want to move to brisket and I want to cook for parties so maybe something that can do two or three pork butts / briskets at the same time would be cool...

Thanks!
Well your Charbroil is an offset, do you wan t to stay with that style of cooker? I personally cooked on a NB Black Diamond (which was your cooker before Charbroil bought NB out) and when the time came to upgrade I immediately started looking at other offsets because stick burning was the style of cooking that I enjoyed.
Another question I'd put to you is what kind of budget are you looking at? There are many different kinds of cookers, different levels of quality and with different price tags.
My recommendation to you would be to decide wether you want to burn charcoal or wood and then go from there according to your price range. Here is a link to the website for the manufacturer that I went to when I upgraded. It's a lot of pit for the buck and it is built solidly enough to will to your Grandchildren! LOL!
http://www.lonestargrillz.com/
And here's my pit's design on Youtube video. Reference also my avatar.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
wrenbjor
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
Well your Charbroil is an offset, do you wan t to stay with that style of cooker? I personally cooked on a NB Black Diamond (which was your cooker before Charbroil bought NB out) and when the time came to upgrade I immediately started looking at other offsets because stick burning was the style of cooking that I enjoyed.
Another question I'd put to you is what kind of budget are you looking at? There are many different kinds of cookers, different levels of quality and with different price tags.
My recommendation to you would be to decide wether you want to burn charcoal or wood and then go from there according to your price range. Here is a link to the website for the manufacturer that I went to when I upgraded. It's a lot of pit for the buck and it is built solidly enough to will to your Grandchildren! LOL!
http://www.lonestargrillz.com/
And here's my pit's design on Youtube video. Reference also my avatar.
Lone Star Grillz 30'' Vertical Smoker - YouTube

lone star grillz warmer box 2 - YouTube

Hope this helps!

Wow, that is a ton of great input! Thanks everyone. I think Oldbill is starting from the right place because based on all the suggestions I would ask for resources that show the major differences between an offset (which I currently have) and the vertical drum style that seems to be so popular among y'all.

I am used to my offset but I am not married to it. I would be willing to try out a vertical grill, my concern is that I would loose cooking space. The videos caused me to grunt "Home Improvement" style... $1700 is a bit much for me at this point... maybe once I have a few comp under my belt

Budget is the kicker... if I had it I would get that lonestart without even thinking about it. The Silver Smoker cost me about $200... I am looking to invest about $800-$900 at this point...
wrenbjor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill, new bbq, smoker, upgrades