• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Belly & the PB&J

C

chachahut

Took some pork belly & soaked it in cider & honey for 3 weeks. Then dusted it with the Hut's new Sugar & Spice rub & smoked for 2 hours...

sugarPorkBelly.jpg

Sliced a few pieces off, put it on a sandwich with our brisket & candied jalapenos (we candied them in house) to make a Pork Belly, Brisket & Jalapeno sammmie. The PB&J:

pbj.jpg

That's a bit of house cured candied onions next to it.

Great way to start the day...

cheers,

That is one amazing work of art!

Could I please get some additional details on recipe/proportions of the cure/brine.

BBQ Grail - brine is fairly simple:

2c cider
1c water
1/4 c kosher salt
1/4 c local honey
1/3 tsp cinnamon
2 TBS cracked black pepper
3 TBS Cha Cha Hut Jalapeno Vinegar (we pickle our own jalapenos & use the leftover pickling solution in brines & sauces)

fishinchef - got these bellys at a local meat market. I've occasionally seen pork belly at WalMart.

Since then, I've discovered my food distributor sells them in 51 lb cases. Guess this is going to be Summer of the Belleh.

cheers,

Where do you get pork bellies?
from pigs, silly. all kidding aside, many butcher shops carry them. Try Scott's meats in Bluffton, if he doesn't have them, I'm sure he will order for you. I'll be back in Bluffton next month, maybe we should do some queing.

That looks like a sandwich I'd try. :)

I was watching "Modern Family" with my wife, and one of the gay guys brought his partner lunch.. a PBJ... and the other guy said something like, "Oh, great, a PBJ.. Pear, Brie and Jambon!", as though everyone would know that's a pbj.

Saw the same episode Curt. That's what inspired us to make this PB&J.

Another place to get pork bellies is at an Asian grocery or also a Hispanic carneceria ( spelling ? yeah I know I butchered it :becky: BobBrisket feel free to correct my spelling.)

I have found that both of these style groceries have good meats and different cuts than most local Megamarts.

They are also good at handling other requests like whole pigs, goats etc.

Don't let the typically funky smell of these places throw you off, remember other folks eats some strange things that most typical Americans wouldn't touch both in proteins and in vegetables.

When I walk in to the Asian shops I am always transported in my mind back to the summer me and my family spent as missionaries in Taiwan. Lovely time, lovely and gracious people. One day, Lord willing we will get to go back, but I digress...

Anyway my point is to try out some of these alternative grocers you may have the grill thrill of a lifetime!

Blessings!

Back