MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
crabjoe
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Dae
Default Getting my 1st smoker (WSM)- Now what?

I've got a WSM 18 on order and it's suppose to arrive this weekend. I've been watching YT videos like crazy to get an idea on how to use it.

My plan, when it arrives is to get it seasoned. The only info I've found was from Harry Soo on how he seasons his WSM. Would you folks agree that it's a safe bet on going his way? I'm a bit worried about loading her up and just running her dry for God knows how many hours for the coal to burn out.

As for my 1st cook, I'm planning on Pit Beef, being that I'm from Baltimore.. I've got a couple racks of St Louis ribs in my freezer, so maybe I'll give that a shot too.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

BTW, I ordered a 6 probe thermometer to measure temps while cooking.. Is there anything else that I might need to get good consistent cooks?

Thanks all!
crabjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjoe View Post
I've got a WSM 18 on order and it's suppose to arrive this weekend. I've been watching YT videos like crazy to get an idea on how to use it.

My plan, when it arrives is to get it seasoned. The only info I've found was from Harry Soo on how he seasons his WSM. Would you folks agree that it's a safe bet on going his way? I'm a bit worried about loading her up and just running her dry for God knows how many hours for the coal to burn out.

As for my 1st cook, I'm planning on Pit Beef, being that I'm from Baltimore.. I've got a couple racks of St Louis ribs in my freezer, so maybe I'll give that a shot too.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

BTW, I ordered a 6 probe thermometer to measure temps while cooking.. Is there anything else that I might need to get good consistent cooks?

Thanks all!
Harry is WSM king !! all his videos are great info
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

For seasoning just start cooking, preferably something with some good fat content. Pork butts are forgiving and have plenty of fat so a long cook like that should start the process pretty good. Keep in mind that the WSM will generally want to run a little hotter until the seasoning has a chance to coat the inside of the cooker. Congrats on ordering your WSM, nice choice.
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
HouseDoc
Full Fledged Farker

After 1st burn off , use either the snake or minion method. Search for details. Take a #2 pencil and open bottom 3 vents so the pencil just slips in. Top vent wide open. This will give you a 250 temp for awhile. May open up late in cook if temp drops. Enjoy. T Roy Cooks has some good WSM videos.
HouseDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Check out this website. It's where I went to learn about how to cook on a WSM when I first got one years ago. Go to the forums tab and look around.
https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I personally like to run pecan when first seasoning my WSM. It lays on a nice heavy smoke to help seal up the little gaps that may exist.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
crabjoe
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Dae

Thanks for the tips folks!

Maybe a Pit Beef isn't going to be my 1st cook, since it seems I need some grease build up... I guess I need to keep an eye out for a Pork butt.

BTW, I've always heard that you shouldn't use a rub with sugar in it because it will burn. Is that a hard and fast rule or is it more based on the max temp one uses while building the bark? If I stay under 300F (I'm planning on doing most of my cooks at 250-275), will a rub with sugar be a problem?

Thanks!
crabjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
HouseDoc
Full Fledged Farker

Turbinado sugar is it, higher burn temp. Available at Walmart and Costco

Old 08-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
HouseDoc
Full Fledged Farker

Give some smoked meatloaf a try. Simple and easy. Great taste. Cook to 165 internal.
I did these on my WSM 18 while cutting grass today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200807_125552899.jpg (92.1 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200807_133314788.jpg (72.8 KB, 187 views)

Old 08-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #10
jdolor
On the road to being a farker

Ceciltucky? I definitely know where you are. Born there, still work there.

You can't go wrong with a WSM. It was my first real smoker. Learn to control the temps while you're seasoning it. Leave the top vents open and adjust with the 3 bottom vents. Go slow and be patient. It'll come to you.
36” Blackstone
Country Smokers Traveler
Weber Smoke Fire - Works great after the upgrades
PK 360
CBJ
jdolor is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #11
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I see no need to season. Just wash the grates and start cooking. I would put water in the pan for a nice, moist environment so it will gunk up quicker.

Good choice!
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #12
Kracken
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Paul

I recently got my WSM, any route you choose will come out fine I'm sure. What I did was a 4hr burnout at temps past 350f, then a practice run at 275f so I could learn my smoker. In the practice run, I bought a package of the fattiest bacon I could find to season it with. Next, was a pork butt for 9hrs, each session gets a bit easier with temp control.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

First, Congratulations on the WSM! it is a great smoker with a short learning curve. I have a 22 and Love it.
I did a half basket burn out at that pencil opening on the 3 bottom vents and damper (top vent) full open. I seasoned it by rubbing down with olive oil on the entire interior. Then I did a 2 lb "break in Fatty", about 3 total hours @ 225*. After that, It became what ever I wanted to smoke. I smoke at 225* normally.
With the racks, I washed them and dried them and then coated the one I used with spray Pam, this makes it easier to clean.
I upgraded to a larger water bowl I got after market @ Weber Bullet.com; and the stainless Steel door, which seals better and holds heat better also at Weber Bullet.com.

Another suggestion is to get another rack for the charcoal rack, place it at 90* of original rack. This helps keep larger pieces of burning coal from dropping down in to the bottom. You can get a cheap replacement grate at Wal Mart about the same size. I wired them together.
I also use Harry Soo's method of setting up the charcoal with "hole" in middle and then about 12 pieces of charcoal in the chimney, which I pour in the "hole" after they are fully lit. The chunks of wood are inserted into the coals prior about an inch back from the "hole" before I dump the lit ones.

Hope this helps you out. It is a pretty easy smoker and you will love it Looking forward to pics of your cooks.
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #14
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

I did not need to pre-burn or season my WSM. I just made sure that I thoroughly cleaned all the packing oil off the charcoal grate and cooking grates, then I started cooking.

The WSM is a very simple cooker. Holds temps well, even with no water in the pan (I never put water in the pan).

One thing I had to learn about the minion method, though. Before you put the meat on, make sure you let it burn for 1/2 hour to an hour so that the charcoal heats up completely and gets rid of all the nasty, thick smoke.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #15
PostOak
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Mike

You’ll love the WSM, I’ve had one for long time and I’m never disappointed in it. I don’t put water in the pan either, although I added a bunch of play sand to the bowl. Some people think it helps. The Harry Soo method of leaving a “Hole” in the middle then lighting the coals seems to work the best for me.