Pastrami

Smoking Piney

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
It's been a crazy, busy summer so far and it's going by fast. I had some downtime this weekend and decided to cook pastrami. :-D

I started with a small corned beef brisket that desalinated in water for 2 days, changing water every 12 hours. I made a pastrami rub following the Amazing Ribs recipe with whole crushed coriander seeds, ground coriander, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, brown sugar, paprika and ground black pepper.

XTpFSFBh.jpg

On the cooker at 275 with a load of hickory for smoke. I cooked it until it reached 165 IT.

mxSqfyzh.jpg

Two rounds in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes each until it got to the desired tenderness.

JK8bpkvh.jpg

It tastes crazy good! :-D

Many thanks to Marc (Shadow) for sharing his wisdom on this. :thumb:

I'm going open-faced Reubens with this tonight for dinner.

Last edited:
That looks amazing. I need to do another one of those. One of my wife's favorites.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks all! :-D

This is the first time I got it right, thanks to ShadowDriver's help.:-D

The rub worked great, and I'm killing time now (until my wife decides she's hungry) to make the Reubens. I've been looking forward to this cook all week. :-D

Oh, how I love homemade pastrami... Yours looks excellent.

I can't take a bit of credit for that fine work.

Glad you've got a hot minute to relax and enjoy some smoke therapy.

Oh, how I love homemade pastrami... Yours looks excellent.

I can't take a bit of credit for that fine work.

Glad you've got a hot minute to relax and enjoy some smoke therapy.

Thanks, Marc. It was great to just zone out and relax today. :-D The last time I cooked pastrami, I had no pressure cooker. I wasn't impressed with that effort.

It took 2 rounds on the Ninja today but it made all the difference. I'm declaring success with this cook. :-D

I'm still full from dinner here, and I'd love to hit at least half of one of those open-faced reubens!

I learned all my homemade pastrami knowledge from Thirdeye and personal experience.

Love that pressure finish.

That looks fantastic! Love those open faced sandwiches, I need to do that next time.

I've done pastrami a few times, following tips from thirdeye-what a great resource. I did them as steam finished at the time. Which Ninja do you have? I recently bought 2 of them and I'm trying to decide which one to keep.

Back