Spare Ribs on the Highland

BBQscott

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How's everyone's weekend going? I hope you guys are cooking some tasty food! I wanted to share a rib cook I did not to long ago. These are spares miserably trimmed with meat heads memphis dust. Cooked around 275, the highland wont let me cook clean any lower... cooked for about 3 hours then sauced with a home made BBQ sauce and cooked for another hour and a half until tender. Did some very murica sides to go with it. I have two little taste testers that are hard to please, glad to say they approved this cook!

Attachments

• Ribs6.jpg
    Ribs6.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Ribs1.jpg
    Ribs1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Ribs5.jpg
    Ribs5.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Ribs3.jpg
    Ribs3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Ribs2.jpg
    Ribs2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Ribs4.jpg
    Ribs4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 129
Thanks guys, these did turn out pretty good. I ended up pulling just a bit earlier then I wanted though. Like the usual excuse, the family was getting hungry lol.

I'd say that anyone here would love to sit down to a meal like that, and yes, when the family says they are hungry, you pull the food no matter what! Nice ribs.

Those look killer. Is your highland modded at all?

Nope no mods, shes a pain in the ass to cook on but it turns out good Q. I actually keep the top lid on the firebox cracked about an inch, it keeps the air flow nice and let's out just enough heat to keep the chamber manageable. Its wierd, I don't understand why, but some how it works lol

Nope no mods, shes a pain in the ass to cook on but it turns out good Q. I actually keep the top lid on the firebox cracked about an inch, it keeps the air flow nice and let's out just enough heat to keep the chamber manageable. Its wierd, I don't understand why, but some how it works lol

I've been going back and forth between a UDS and trying out an offset. Don't know which direction to lean toward.

I've been going back and forth between a UDS and trying out an offset. Don't know which direction to lean toward.

It really depends on how much you want to mess with your cooker. I literally babysit the Highland. I don't leave it alone for more then 15 minuets, I have to keep a really small hot fire because the air flow and metal is just so bad. But with all the blood,sweat and tears comes great tasting bbq. This pit that I have is also a COS cooker, if you go with the better offsets that are 1/4" thick pits you'll have way less of a head ache messing with it. The UDS I personally have never cooked on but it seems they still produce great bbq with way less headache. Probably cheaper for a nicer cooker too.

Great looking ribs and yes the Highland needs to be tended to a bit more than a lot of other smokers, but it does turn out good food

Great looking ribs and yes the Highland needs to be tended to a bit more than a lot of other smokers, but it does turn out good food

Thanks Fred, yeah its quite the hassle but worth it in the end. I just don't do brisket on it, to long of a cook for the hassle. I get out my tried and true kettle for that lol.

Back