MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #7276
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Thank you much, that's what I had assumed, but wanted to check.

Last one I rested in the cooler (below) before the Cambro was 5+ hours and IT read 140. It's recommended for IT not to drop less than 140 when resting that long for food safety concerns. One of the best dang briskets I did. Resting is key I found out eventually.

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-20-2017, 12:58 AM   #7277
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post

Last one I rested in the cooler (below) before the Cambro was 5+ hours and IT read 140. It's recommended for IT not to drop less than 140 when resting that long for food safety concerns. One of the best dang briskets I did. Resting is key I found out eventually.
That looks mighty tasty. I've been reading about the holding since I've joined here, and had good luck with it so far! I've been using the cooler and towel method, but it's obnoxious. I have a sister in law in the food service industry, so if she can't get us a deal on a Cambro, we are looking at those Cater Gaters. Not only does the hold help the food-it gives you a lot of flexibility in cooking times vs serving times.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 AM   #7278
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
That looks mighty tasty. I've been reading about the holding since I've joined here, and had good luck with it so far! I've been using the cooler and towel method, but it's obnoxious. I have a sister in law in the food service industry, so if she can't get us a deal on a Cambro, we are looking at those Cater Gaters. Not only does the hold help the food-it gives you a lot of flexibility in cooking times vs serving times.
Absolutely! I use it a lot especially for keeping food hot/warm during parties. Like mashed potatoes or Mac n cheese for example. I scored mine from a church sale for $60. Great shape including the gasket and latches. Best $60 I've spent. If I hadn't I would totally jump on a cater gator.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #7279
PUNKem733
On the road to being a farker

So what makes a cambro so great over a cooler? Aren't they basically a cooler being that they are insulated?
PUNKem733 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #7280
tonyjohnson619
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks again everyone and yes sako we are planning on being at the bash
tonyjohnson619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #7281
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Meatloaf advice

I've seen some great looking smoked meatloaf posts recently and am finally gonna give it a try today. For those who have cooked them on the PBC how long do you think a 2 lb loaf would take? And a bonus question: at what internal temp would your remove it from the pit?

Thanks for your help!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #7282
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I don't have a real PBC but on my UDS at 290* - it took a little over an hour and a half. Pulled at 165* - mine was about 1.5#

It will depend on cooking temp, size of loaf and whether you had it in the refrigerator made up and sitting or just whipped it up and tossed it on.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #7283
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
I don't have a real PBC but on my UDS at 290* - it took a little over an hour and a half. Pulled at 165* - mine was about 1.5#

It will depend on cooking temp, size of loaf and whether you had it in the refrigerator made up and sitting or just whipped it up and tossed it on.
Thanks. Will probably be running around 290 to 300 and shaping it in an oblong fashion. Based on your input will plan for around a 1.5 to 2 hour cook.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #7284
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Just treat it like a big hamburger fatty.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2017, 01:55 AM   #7285
Flying Wombat
Found some matches.

Default First time poster from Downunder

First time poster from Melbourne Australia. American style BBQ is growing fast here. Unfortunately for most it still means burning snags on the barbie.......
Got a PBC for Xmas, worked excellent out of the box......, but I can't resist tinkering so made a few mods. Added lower grill mounts for searing, made some changes to the intake control "flap" , spring loaded the mounting bolt and added a second small bolt to adjust it. When I find some more time I may replace it with a slider vent. I made a diffuser by drilling a pizza pan out, placed over the coals using threaded rods as "feet"
Is it better..... perhaps, but had fun with the mods.
It's pictured smoking up some beef short ribs and chicken.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0188.jpg (91.8 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0189.jpg (72.8 KB, 263 views)
Flying Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #7286
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Great to see the PBC in use down under Wombat! I love the mod you made to the intake. Genius idea to mark the positions for scale! Don't know why never thought of that...always just eyeballed the opening.

Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see some of the things you cook!

Old 09-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #7287
SeaSalted
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Wombat View Post
First time poster from Melbourne Australia. American style BBQ is growing fast here. Unfortunately for most it still means burning snags on the barbie.......
Got a PBC for Xmas, worked excellent out of the box......, but I can't resist tinkering so made a few mods. Added lower grill mounts for searing, made some changes to the intake control "flap" , spring loaded the mounting bolt and added a second small bolt to adjust it. When I find some more time I may replace it with a slider vent. I made a diffuser by drilling a pizza pan out, placed over the coals using threaded rods as "feet"
Is it better..... perhaps, but had fun with the mods.
It's pictured smoking up some beef short ribs and chicken.

Cheers
Welcome Wombat. A flying wombat would be a site to see for sure.

I too like to tinker with my PBC and am interested in your lower grill mounts, post a pic when you can. Thanks for posting
SeaSalted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #7288
pocketflask
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hi guys. Thinking of taking my PBC out for a little tailgating in a couple of weeks. If you are so inclined, hit me up with some suggestions of grub that can be done on the PBC in around 2 hours. Wings? ATBs?
pocketflask is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #7289
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Wangs (any kind of chicken parts), ABTs, half chickens, tritip, pork loin (depending on size), pork tenderloin, naked fatty, stuffed fatty, stuffed peppers, crispy Cornell chicken, maybe some small baby backs (if you can find them) if you go hot and fast...

Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #7290
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

MOINK would be good

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it