MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #16
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Great job, Paul!

Since we're dreaming, how about some other suggestions...

1. Somehow indicate whether a comp is a State Championship or Jack qualifier
2. When (or if) you get to the point of personalization, is it possible to include distance and driving time from a team's home address?

Thanks for putting that together!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Great job, Paul!

Since we're dreaming, how about some other suggestions...

2. When (or if) you get to the point of personalization, is it possible to include distance and driving time from a team's home address?

Thanks for putting that together!
I don't think he'll be able to tell what is a Jack Qualifier. You don't have to be a State Championship to be a Jack Qualifier. Nor are all State Championships Jack qualifiers.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

As Todd guessed, I don't have the Jack information would need to find a reasonable way to get it. KCBS does publish State Championship status but I haven't been collecting it since I didn't realize I might actually want to use it until this very moment. This may be a feature I add on a forward looking basis rather updating past records.

Quote:
Absolutely. At least to an extent. I don't have the actual contest addresses, just the cities. As a result, the geocoding is only done to the city level but it can still provide approximate mileage, drive time, and directions from a known starting point. This can be automated once personalized but I think I can at least add a link for the time being. I'll work on it later this week.

The API is pretty flexible and chances are, if we can think of it, it can be done. I just need an idea and a data source.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
Irrad8
is one Smokin' Farker

That is fantastic! Thank you!
Kenmore - 5 burner gasser (for grillin'), 2 burner (for tailgatn')
KCBS member & CBJ
2003 PLAYMOR 7' X 16' Hauler
Am I in the "wood pile" ......again..
Irrad8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #20
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Good stuff
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #21
FireAnts
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Awesome! It's quick and easy to navigate. I also like the ability to see the previous years results when you're checking out the current year. But I don't see a way to see last years results for contests that didn't happen yet this year.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #22
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I don't think he'll be able to tell what is a Jack Qualifier. You don't have to be a State Championship to be a Jack Qualifier. Nor are all State Championships Jack qualifiers.
That's why I added "somehow"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
I don't have the actual contest addresses, just the cities. As a result, the geocoding is only done to the city level but it can still provide approximate mileage, drive time, and directions from a known starting point. This can be automated once personalized but I think I can at least add a link for the time being. I'll work on it later this week.
It doesn't have to be exact. It would be a help when planning out a schedule or deciding between two comps.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #23
gman
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
That is pretty farkin sweet.
Ditto... Cool... WOW!!

Thank you!!!

WSM
Brinkmann Smoke-n-Pit
BBQ-Brethren

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."
gman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #24
dhuffjr
Full Fledged Farker

That is awesome. I just bookmarked it and look forward to the 2009 edition

Old 07-15-2008, 04:32 AM   #25
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

That is really a fantastic application and one that will certainly make it easy for teams to plan. We've been real fans of your site and the rankings you've been doing and appreciate the way you are using technology to bring all of this data into forms that make it really easy to see and understand.

I have a suggestion for you but I don't know how feasible it would be to make happen. Regardless, here it is...

The Power Rankings are not necessarily the most accurate representation of which team is really "the best" at any given time. The reason I say this is because it is based on raw data and not on any kind of average. I'll give you an example of what I mean using baseball as a comparison.

Each year, Major League Baseball crowns a batting champion and that title is won by the player with the highest batting average. However, in order to qualify for the title, a player must have a minimum number of plate appearances. The reason there is a minimum plate appearances requirement is so that the batting champ isn't a guy with 50 appearances and a .375 average. As it stands right now at the All-Star break, the minimum number of plate appearances required for consideration is 295.

I propose that a more accurate way to Power Rank the teams would be take the number of points they have earned using the same method of calculating those points as you do right now but to then average those points by the number of events it took for the team to earn them. Teams would then be ranked according to their average but only those teams with a minimum number of events completed would qualify. (The number of events completed would be the counterpart to plate appearances in the batting average example.)

The reason I think this is a more accurate method for ranking is because the average would serve to level the playing field for teams that do not have the geographic advantage of being in an area where contests are available to them almost every weekend of the season. It would also take into account the times that a team has competed in an event and not finished in the Top 10 in any category or in the Overall rankings. The average would be based on all the events a team has entered and not just the ones in which points were earned.

This is my suggestion.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #26
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Very cool application Paul.

Thank You!!
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #27
Jaybird
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest220 View Post
That is really a fantastic application and one that will certainly make it easy for teams to plan. We've been real fans of your site and the rankings you've been doing and appreciate the way you are using technology to bring all of this data into forms that make it really easy to see and understand.

I have a suggestion for you but I don't know how feasible it would be to make happen. Regardless, here it is...

The Power Rankings are not necessarily the most accurate representation of which team is really "the best" at any given time. The reason I say this is because it is based on raw data and not on any kind of average. I'll give you an example of what I mean using baseball as a comparison.

Each year, Major League Baseball crowns a batting champion and that title is won by the player with the highest batting average. However, in order to qualify for the title, a player must have a minimum number of plate appearances. The reason there is a minimum plate appearances requirement is so that the batting champ isn't a guy with 50 appearances and a .375 average. As it stands right now at the All-Star break, the minimum number of plate appearances required for consideration is 295.

I propose that a more accurate way to Power Rank the teams would be take the number of points they have earned using the same method of calculating those points as you do right now but to then average those points by the number of events it took for the team to earn them. Teams would then be ranked according to their average but only those teams with a minimum number of events completed would qualify. (The number of events completed would be the counterpart to plate appearances in the batting average example.)

The reason I think this is a more accurate method for ranking is because the average would serve to level the playing field for teams that do not have the geographic advantage of being in an area where contests are available to them almost every weekend of the season. It would also take into account the times that a team has competed in an event and not finished in the Top 10 in any category or in the Overall rankings. The average would be based on all the events a team has entered and not just the ones in which points were earned.

This is my suggestion.
That's why I never did pay too much attention to the rankings. Some of these guys do 30-40 comps a year. So they could have a bad year and still beat someone who had a fantastic year with only 12 comps in. I like the 'average' angle...it sort of puts everything in perspective.
It's the way that you roll!"
:butt:
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #28
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Nice!!!!! You my friend have a gift!!!
All I can say is DAMN!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #29
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Wow!! Very cool!! Thanks Paul...your site rocks and just keeps on getting better and better!!! Thanks!

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #30
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

Very cool I love the map it will make things easier for a lot of teams.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote