Inject or not inject.

chadak9

Found some matches.
Reaction score
looking to smoke a pork shoulder. wondering how much of a differance it makes to inject. if so looking for suggestions.
Thanks

Whole pork shoulder (which is the butt and the picnic attached), or just the picnic (which some call picnic shoulder, and some just call shoulder)?

I inject, all the time. It helps keep the meat moist and it also helps put flavors down deep in the meat. I'm told that the acids in fruits (ala. apple juice) help break down the fats when cooking... I'm not certain about that, but I know injecting works great.

I do suggest keeping the injection very simple. I use my own modification of Chris Lilly's, which is apple juice, worchestershire sauce, and a little of my rub (helps get the rub flavors down deep in the meat).

I've injected days before, hours before (ala. overnight), and right before putting on the smoker and I've not noticed very different results, UNLESS the injection you're using has much salt in it, then definitely DO NOT inject ahead of time.

I usually inject, then apply the rub, then go light the fire on the smoker. The injection and rub get to set up on the meat for about 45 minutes to an hour before being put on the smoker.

That's it.

If you dont use the injection above, please follow the K.I.S.S. theory.

Last edited:
^^^^^ I'm also a fan of injecting and like Chris Lilly's injection. I find that when you inject too early, the meat is a little salty tasting for my taste. I like to inject no more than 2 hours before putting in the smoker.

I never injected until recently. I've really liked the results from using Chris Lily's injection, but I only use about half the salt the recipe calls for. I've done the injecting while the cooker's coming up to temp. I've only done it a few times, so I'm no expert on injecting, but I don't think I'll be going back to not injecting.

I inject as well, and also use a modified version of Chris Lilly's injection (Half the Salt). I inject it and then let it set while I am getting my GOSM up to temp.

Did a pork shoulder this past weekend and it came out wonderful.

388884_10150369100963346_689163345_8117233_1763624328_n.jpg

382917_10150369101428346_689163345_8117239_1439983098_n.jpg

I do not inject Pork shoulder (or butts). Obviously that puts me in the minority so far, but I have never had a reason to do so (no issues with dry pork here - ever) and I happen to like the taste of pork, so don't see a need to add outside flavor.

I've been using a pork injection that I got from Dammit Andy (Smoke on Wheels). It makes a very moist & flavorful product and one bottle will do two to three averasge sized butts.

I never injected until recently. I've really liked the results from using Chris Lily's injection, but I only use about half the salt the recipe calls for. I've done the injecting while the cooker's coming up to temp. I've only done it a few times, so I'm no expert on injecting, but I don't think I'll be going back to not injecting.

I hope that I wasn't a party to the corruption....

^^^well within the realm of possibility, brother! :thumb:

I do wanna try a side by side comparison 'cause I always liked it before I injected - it was just that the last couple, which were injected, turned out so dang good. Don't know if it's from nailing the cook or the injection itself.

Nailing the cook could be it, for certain. For me, and I'm not certain why, but it seemed that when I injected the mark to hit was easier to hit...

Welcome to "the dark side" brother!!

Oh, yeah, I'm DEFINITELY a BIG FAN of the side-by-side tests! That's what convinced me (the results of the side-by-side testing).

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I have done both, but, I tend to not inject. I actually see little reason to inject and I like the product I get by not injecting. It is really more about my just not getting around to it as much as anything else.

I'll do a comparison on my next butt cook. I'm hoping it doesn't make much of a difference 'cause I'm a lazy sumbich.

You guys are lucky I'm the one with the problem. See, I learned how to cook a pig in SENC. Over there the flavor comes from the rub and the vinegar base sauce. The moisture comes from how much sauce you put on the finished product. But over here, west of I-95, folks want it moist from the git go. They use moistly the red sauce because they have never tried anything else. If that's the crowd I'm feeding I inject with apple cider. I'm glad no two are alike.

This is the time of year I can get freshly squeezed apple cider and I enjoy using that.
Otherwise, I do it easy with the basic Lilly injection and SOW has a real good product as well. I do think it helps with the moisture and flavor overall and it definitely doesn't hurt a bit.

I do not inject Pork shoulder (or butts). Obviously that puts me in the minority so far, but I have never had a reason to do so (no issues with dry pork here - ever) and I happen to like the taste of pork, so don't see a need to add outside flavor.

Ditto.

Back