Grilled walleye recipe?

Walleye is very delicate...so I make the first flip early while fish is still intact... same with catfish.

I use a fish basket, otherwise it'll definitely fall apart when you try and flip it. Otherwise, yeah I just season it, maybe throw some lemon slices on it and cook it till it's just done. Lemon pepper or cajun seasoning is usually my go to.

Depending on size of fillets ( large Lake Erie fillets can be well over 1" think and take to direct grill better). Like mentioned they are fall apart delicate. So typically I place fillets on thin slices of lemon in foil. Small tabs of butter. Lemon pepper and any other seasoning you like. Roll up foil (about 1lb max per package of foil) Leave the ends open, but bend upward. I've known it as the "boat" style for 30 some yrs. Place on grill and cook for around 12 minutes. Depending on temp of the grill and size of fillets. The bent up open ends let the steam out and give you something to pick the foil package up with.
Bride with a few nice ones.

I don't like the full foil wrap - takes a lot of the grill flavor away in my experience.
SO, I make a makeshift pan out of heavy duty foil. Doubled up, and with rolled edges to make a mini baking pan that is just bigger than the fillets.

I smear a tiny bit of olive oil on the foil before I put the fish on (skin side down).

Season with garlic powder, seasoned salt, coarse pepper and a bit of chili powder.

Grill until done - no flipping needed. It almost always slides right off the oiled foil with a spatula. Moist, tender and tons of flavor without fall apart risk or risk of falling through the grates.

Walleye is very delicate...so I make the first flip early while fish is still intact... same with catfish.

The only way that I ever do walleye/pickerel is to toss with flour and some salt and pepper then pan fry in butter, turning once like everyone says. It is a delicate fish, but when done right, it is my absolute favorite. Just wished that it wasn't so damned expensive in the stores.

Back