Is the Slow N Sear Plus worth it?

leboshade

Got Wood.
Reaction score
What's up fellow brethren!

I have been looking into the adrenaline BBQ slow N sear plus for my weber kettle.

Would be great if anyone who owns one can chip in on advice and tell me from experience if it has made the kettle cook better.

Thanks

I just got one a month ago, and the griddle. I have been very happy with it. Before I used the snake method which works out very well. However, for long smokes I did not have a lot of room. With the slow and sear I can get two racks of baby back ribs laying down or two large pork butts. I am happy with it so far.

What's up fellow brethren!

I have been looking into the adrenaline BBQ slow N sear plus for my weber kettle.

Would be great if anyone who owns one can chip in on advice and tell me from experience if it has made the kettle cook better.

Thanks

I don't have a Slow n Sear, but from all the videos I've seen, I want one. However, I haven't pulled the trigger because I've had some good success with just the charcoal baskets and a pan of water for smoking. Now, I've only smoked some chicken and sausages, but my results have been phenomenal. Next week I'm going to do some ribs, and I'll see how that goes, but I don't expect any negative results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like using my XL Slow 'n Sear in the Weber 26" and it is very versatile. If you want to reverse sear with just a couple of large steaks it's the perfect size. Sometimes when I want to cook with more surface area I will use my slow and sear as the "cool" area and bank coals up against for an adjustable grilling area.

Also very impressed with the build quality, not so shiny any more but holding up great to my abuse. As a side note, one full Weber charcoal chimney fills it up perfectly so no measuring or counting briquettes needed.

I'd also be really interested to read owner experience with a Slow 'n Sear and a Weber 22.5.

I have a slow n sear in my 22.5 I really like it, if for nothing else just making cleanup easier. It's great for ribs or anything else you can do in a 5 hour window. I also use it for hot and fast when doing burgers or steaks. I typically use a half a chimney of hot coals for hot fast cooks. In order to get 5 hours out of it the slow n sear needs to be full of coals. I'd buy it again.

Mine only comes out of the grill when I throw the vortex in for wings.

Me too. I've got the original one (open bottom) in my 22.5 kettle.

I used the weber baskets and then switched to fire bricks for a lot of years for indirect cooking but the slow n sear makes managing the temps a lot easier and I get a much longer burn time than I did with bricks.

I have a slow n sear in my 22.5 I really like it, if for nothing else just making cleanup easier. It's great for ribs or anything else you can do in a 5 hour window. I also use it for hot and fast when doing burgers or steaks. I typically use a half a chimney of hot coals for hot fast cooks. In order to get 5 hours out of it the slow n sear needs to be full of coals. I'd buy it again.

I seem to get a lot longer burn time than 5 hours on mine. With it full I get 8+ hours.

I've cooked on a Slow-n-Sear exactly twice and if still had my Weber Kettle, this is the single piece BBQ I'd order without hesitation. In fact, a friend who I was trying to kamado cooking bought one and hasn't even considered a kamado since. To my mind, the Slow-n-Sear is a game changer for kettles on the order of magnitude of the Chimney or the rotisserie.

In both my cooks, we used a full chimney as the initial charge. For the butt cook, we got a little over 8 hours and needed to recharge with another half chimney. That was a nonevent as all we did was lift up the gate, pour in the KBN, recharge the water reservoir, put the lid back on and then went back to baseball and beer. It was great pulled pork and my buddy was hooked.

The other time was grilling steaks. In that application, the S-n-S did a bang up job. We reverse seared some 2" thick NY Strips that turned out perfectly.

When I get another Weber Kettle the very first thing I'm having delivered is a Slow-n-Sear. My experiences with my buddy's kettle has convinced me. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Weber acquire S-n-S down the road.

I have the regular slow n sear for a 22" kettle and I love it. It is pricey but well made and I don't feel like I got shafted. I know that a couple of fire bricks or something similar can isolate the fire to one side as well but the slow n sear makes it a tidy set up. I would buy it again without hesitation.

just bought a kettle last weekend (okay three of them). Ordered the slow and sear tonight to figure out how it works before giving it (or getting a second one) for my son

$115 ? LM_AO.....

insert gif....useriousclark.gif

no way i'm paying anything close to a Benji fo dat !

I must be really stupid for not getting into the bbq smoker and accessory making biz.

I tried several homemade versions of the Slow 'N Sear type over the years. The firebricks work just as well, and allow more variety of arrangements, so I threw out the other stuff. Here are some of the ways I use the bricks.
picture.php

I add a piece of broken brick in the middle of the other two if I ever need to place them as far toward the center of the grill as the S-n-S goes.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The water pan absorbs heat, leading to wasted fuel, in order to keep the temperature down. You can control the temperature using the vents instead. If you want to use water pans, two mini loaf pans fit across the coal grate at about the same location, and are easier to store.
For shorter cooks like chicken, you can cook without any thing or use a piece of wood as a barrier to product flavored smoke. That way, you get to use the grate space you give up using the S-n-S to cook more meat.
Or you can do this.
St39vuv42-_q600v3BRLCHyJrASWKeYNyLua4pJDUQE=w284-h212-p-no

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165643

dadr4, so you had a S&S and use the bricks instead? I did figure that there are many more options with bricks as you can alter placement. And are those a special type of brick? Don't know if I need firebricks specifically or just any brick will do.

Back