MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #61
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shluctr View Post
I also am having issues with heating up properly. Mine won't get over 250. Hoping when update comes it will fix the issue. Traeger thought it could be something else and would send a thermocoupler. Now that's on back order and I'm a little frustrated.
Which model do you have?

Old 07-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #62
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mr. Tony View Post
I really don't want to kick you guys while your down, but I sure am glad I dodged this bullet. Had the pellet grill I had for sale moved, I likely would have given this a shot. Traeger nostalgia was kicking in, and I was very enamoured by their new offering.

I'm sure they will figure it out, and these things will be fine. I'm just glad I am not part of the R&D/early adopter team.

Sincerely, Good luck to all that have purchased in getting them up and running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bproffer View Post
Even if/when they get it all figured out, I am still not sure it will be worth it in the end. Right now I am feeling like I should have gone back to Yoder like my gut was telling me.
Same here guys. Sucks that you guys are going through this.

A pellet grill is definitely the next addition for me and I was seriously considering Traeger after Bosco posted his thread. His seems to work fine but most all of you guys are having some kind of issue. It's officially off my list and Yoder is really looking good now.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #63
unixadm
Take a breath!

I had just as many issues with my Yoder to be honest, but they have had their models in circulation a lot longer to work out the issues. Just saying, give them a little time, the sky is not falling. I honestly really like the design of the Timberline. It seems most manufacturers had some teething issues in this market. Rec Tec, Mak and Memphis seem to have skirted development issues for the most part.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #64
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

I just found this link on a Facebook group. It is a page dedicated to the updates as they come.

http://www.traegergrills.com/timberl...hange-log.html

From everything that I have been reading, 90% of the issues are by way of software. I think the version 3 software will improve things considerably for those that have had issues.

I think back to the apple watch. It had terrible battery life, bad screen brightness, and wasn't waterproof. The apple watch 2 improved considerably and I am reading amazing things about to touch down on the new one.

Don't rule Traeger out just yet. There are some small kinks that they are working on and this grill will be awesome. I have been very fortunate not to have the issues that others have had.

I have read just as many issues with other pellet brand cookers on social media.

Hang in there, version 3 is on the way!!

Old 07-22-2017, 01:36 AM   #65
Shluctr
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have a 1300. A warranty fan kit showed up...but am supposed to be getting a thermal coupler. I work with machines all the time in my job and it seems like there is always a glitch, so I don't get too bent out of shape about this kind of thing. However, I wish they were a little more commutative. My dealer had to call to find out why my parts hadn't shown up after a week. It was on backorder.
Shluctr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #66
DammnDaniel

I just received my new replacement fan for my 850 last night. Swapped it out and ran some tests. Set grill at 250 which it reached in about 15min and stayed pretty constant +\- 10 degrees which isn't what's advertised but I could live with. After about two hours I bumped up to 460 which took 45min from 258-430 where it peaked and dropped all the way down to 363 which it stayed for more than hour and half before I gave up and shut it down. This whole testing process I never once opened the lid.. also notice soot on grates after testing which have decreased from firmware 01.01.01 but still present in 01.01.02 firmware. Is this what everyone else is experiencing with their units? When bringing up to my dealer and traeger they insist that others aren't having issues.
DammnDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #67
Wtcinwy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have just finished up reading these posts, and being a 1300 patio decoration owner, I am baffled.. my experience with the the traeger customer service was on an issue that no one else has brought up.. the gentleman informed me that the soot issue and temp issues are a result of a bad auger and auger motor.. he would not discuss wether or not the .03 firmware would correct the issues and informed me that my new auger and auger motor were on the way.. so should I still remove the fan shroud? this is getting ridiculous, I sold my perfectly good GMG jim B. for a two thousand dollar decoration that I can't even use.
Wtcinwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #68
unixadm
Take a breath!

As I mentioned on another forum, there may be issues with the auger, but that is not the root cause of the issue. An auger won't stoke the fire so that it burns clean. Until they release a firmware which does not shut off the fan while we're cooking, soot is going to be produced. ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF, black soot comes out of the fire pot briefly during each OFF event. I've watched it and filmed it. The fan is still spinning down, but it does not have enough velocity to force enough air into the fire pot to keep the fire burning cleanly.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #69
Wtcinwy

so should I just leave the shroud on at this point?

Old 07-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #70
unixadm
Take a breath!

I took mine off and noticed no really difference in terms of soot. I'd leave it for now and wait for the next firmware to see whats up.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #71
Wtcinwy

thanks for the advise, they want me to replace the auger and auger motor so whenever that shows up I guess I will replace them, (they want me to send the current parts in so that they can test them)

Old 07-23-2017, 02:20 AM   #72
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm sorry. If you are going to build and sell a freaking $2K grill, it ought to work correctly when people get it home. Buyers shouldn't have to jump through hoops, add/remove parts, or wait around for promised firmware updates that may, or may not fix the issue.

I'd be seriously pissed off if I spent $500 for a grill and had this kind of trouble with it. At $2K, I'd be absolutely apoplectic.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #73
Shluctr

My dealer was in the area and stopped and looked at the 1300. We replaced the fan and the thermocoupler. Another surprise was after working earlier the hot rod quit working. They have a plug on hot rod half way between computer and the cup that wasn't pushed in all the way. Put a little electric grease on it to help hold it together. We are now officially down to computer update. It still won't get above 250.
Shluctr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #74
unixadm
Take a breath!

I got an email today from Traeger and they said the .03 update should be out by the 28th.

A snip from the email:

"I have an estimated time of delivery for the V.01.01.03 update. It should come out between 7/21-7/28. This update should allow users to reach and hold temperature and achieve temperature faster."

It does not state that it will address the soot issue, though they suspect it will. I asked about an auger and fan, but all I got back was the firmware update. I'm giving them another week or so and then it's time to get this thing returned.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #75
bproffer
Take a breath!

I have talked with the dealer, Regional Sales Manager for Traeger and now I have a direct line to a tech who "supposedly" was going to download the diagnostics from my controller to see if I was getting any errors. He says I shouldn't be getting that much ash/soot. Well Duh...

After my last test, I still had bad soot, but temps weren't an issue (albeit I never had the controller above 250°. It also appears removing the collar from around the fan has helped or alleviated the burn back issue, at least at lower temps. I am still having issue with the auger crushing some pellets to dust and still getting a cake of ash in the bottom of the firepot that has to be cleaned out every start-up otherwise I get a fail to start. The ash covers the glow rod.

These are the pics I sent him. this was after running at 250° for an hour on a 100% clean grill. I cleaned the grill components and grills with bbq cleaner/degreaser.

Last edited by bproffer; 03-31-2021 at 12:31 PM..
bproffer is offline   Reply With Quote