MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
98Ludedude
Found some matches.

Default IQ120 Custom install

Hey all! Very excited to have found this site! I've been reading and gathering info here for months and I finally pulled the trigger.
I bought a new Weber Performer about 5 months back and have used it and enjoyed it thoroughly! After waiting weeks for the iq120 to be available on amazon I'm ready. I plan to drill a 1 1/8" hole just below the charcoal grate, in a "dead" spot where the ash scrapers won't interfere. I have a 1"xclose NPT stainless-steel nipple which I will thread into the kettle. Inside the kettle there will be a 90 degree stainless- steel elbow pointing down and slightly toward the hot side. Outside the kettle is a 1" SS coupler which I will thread the hose barb provided with the iq120. Questions: Anyone see any major issues with my planned installation? Also, as I was prepping to drill the hole, I scraped off some of the "seasoning" inside. There is now a small gap, about 1/16" between the bottom of the kettle and one of the ash scrapers/vent dampers. Will that small gap reseal after a few cooks? Or should I remove the things and reshape them. Anyways, hope this wasn't a horrible first topic, and thanks for reading! I look forward too all of your insights in the future.
98Ludedude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Big Country BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

welcome to the neighborhood neighbor!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Big Country BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
98Ludedude
Found some matches.

Default UPDATE with pics

So I finally got around to installing my iq120, this thing rocks!
drilled a 1 1/4" hole
hole1.jpg
inserted 1"x close stainless steel nipple
nipple1.jpg
stainless steel elbow
elbow1.jpg
stainless steel coupler on the outside for provided hose barb
coupler1.jpg
fire setup
Attachment 84402
snake method
fire2.jpg
iq120 hooked up
setup1.jpg
probe hole
probe hole1.jpg
conduit grommet
grommet1.jpg
225 baby!
setup2.jpg

Last edited by 98Ludedude; 09-28-2013 at 06:06 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Love it...The IQ is a handy little pit babysitter!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Looks slick...No issues here...Let us know how it holds temps...Smoke on...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice job!!!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Looking good from here!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
98Ludedude
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the good remarks guys! I was a little on the fence about drilling holes into my beloved kettle, but it all went together quite well. No chipping of the porcelain, no leaks needing sealing at all!
I did a test run with some St. Louis spares, held a perfect 225 for 6 hours, only spiking up to 232 for a few minutes, dialed the iq120 air intake down to the 3 position, and all was well! Ribs had a perfect flavor, could have left them on a tad longer though.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
98Ludedude
Found some matches.

Default another mod

With Labor day coming up, and my 22.5" kettle doing the smoking with the new iq120, I knew I was going to need a little more room for all of the corn, burgers, dogs etc... Easy fix: 14.5" WSJ, a few bolts, wing nuts and a pice of aluminum I'd have this done in no time.(note iq120 not installed, don't like leaving it out when not in use)

a few 2" bolts threaded through the existing anchors from the bottom and wing nuts.
wing nuts.jpg

aluminum strut mounted to the rear.
aluminum strut.jpg

How cute.
duel webers.jpg

You may notice it is a little crooked, this was done on purpose. By pre-loading the strut, i think the weight of coals and food should bring it down to level.
Looking forward to fully utilizing this addition. Grilling of course, chimney starter, hot coals, tools, storage, who knows!
And it comes off in a minute with 3 wing nuts for on the go camping or tailgating!