Traeger Timberline Problems, updates and fixes

well it has been a while but when I first got mine I ran probes in various locations and the temps seemed pretty consistent side to side and top to bottom also confirmed with biscuit test. I have not checked recently but it seems the same now..

Oh man, I own three Traegers and I'm so glad I waited to pull the trigger on this one. I hope they get all the issues resolved for you guys.

Anyone not liking the grease trap design? This is my go to grill now and after I do higher heat cooks I notice the grease trap gets a crusty kind of burnt top layer and I'm concerned that the grease will not drain properly down into the grease collection pan below. I find myself scraping grease out of there all the time. Just a pain. If I remove the square thing, will I get wild temp swings? I don't want to get grease overflow in the bottom of the grill, but I also don't want to check it before every cook. Thoughts?

I haven't noticed but now I'm gonna check it

I smoked a brisket at 225 (super smoke for the first 4 hours). Maintained perfect temps. Zero soot.

As far as the grease trap design, I cooked about 20 strips of bacon and the greased flowed to the drip pan, but the residual grease in the shoot on the left side did catch when I did my next high temp grill. I cleaned it out and it required a screw driver to scrape out the grease. Not a great design for the grease trap, but sure helps reduce unwanted air and maintain the temperature.

I'm very pleased with the grill.

Thanks for the info. I have not been using super smoke. I will try it on a rib cook this weekend.

I did an overnight brisket last weekend and the grill performed perfect. I cooked a pound of bacon in a foil pan on high heat last night without cleaning it and the grease shoot also caught fire some where between 400 and 500. I had it at 300 for awhile with no issue. No big deal, I will pay more attention to keeping it clean. I want to cook on this all year round and cleaning the grill when it is below freezing will be a pain.

I am also very happy with the 850 after all the firmware updates. I hope for the sake of 1300 owners that Traeger gets the problems ironed out.

So after a summer of dismay with the entire Traeger corporation, I have jumped through all the hoops and performed open heart surgery on the 1300, and I have to say that I have been doing some small cooks when weather permits and i am seeing a lot less soot, even in super smoke mode. I am not sure if the software update has helped. I spoke with a Traeger guru (has over 8 smokers) and he agreed with Unixadam that the fan must remain on in the super smoke mode. He has actually performed brain sergury on his and somehow circumnavigated the hardware so that he can use supersmoke and the fan remains running at all times.. I don't think I am up to the task of re-wirering but I am told that if you really want to use it and avoid the soot altogether it is doable. be forewarned though..if you go through with it he said that it would most deffinitly void the warranty.. so be where of that fact.

we have been using our quite a bit and have not had soot issues even when running super smoke. my problem was climbing after SS, it would stay at set temp or below after cranking it up but that last few cooks that has not been an issue either if I had a remaining gripe it would be hoe long it take to get up to temp when initially started but it it what it is I just plan for that. All in all we are happy

As I mentioned before, I was having some issues with my original 1300. Enough that Traeger replaced mine with a newer model. I have been cooking on that one for about 2 months now and will report the following:

1. no more auger jams
2. no more burn backs or smoke in the hopper (fan collar removed)
3. quick heat up to 500 in 20 min now
4. maintains 500 like a champ
5. better smoke flow exiting the grill now
6. recovery temp is far more stable now after opening the lid and recovery is fast
7. soot is all but gone... with the exception of a bit of soot during a super smoke still.
8. +/- 3 degree max temp swing
9. can hold 165 without issue
10. better pellet consumption

So with that said, I went from loving the new grill, to being very frustrated with it to now really enjoying it again. The app and wifi control make this thing a treat to run. I am finally at a point where I would start recommending them to people again.

I read an interesting comment on Facebook yesterday after Traeger posted that the timberline is back add they posted. Many were questioning what they meant as they were vague. Someone spoke with a Traeger rep and they were told that the stopped production on the grills until they figured things out. This makes sense as there was limited to no supply everywhere during the issues stages.

So maybe they have things sorted out now and we can stop the bashing and start enjoying all the wonderful new features of this grill. I hope for Traeger, that they can finally put these problems to bed and have a good run on the timberline!!

If they in fact halted production, I would be very curious if there is a certain manufacturing number that we can look for to make sure it was produced in the new batch. I know some dealers don't move inventory really fast, so it's possible you could be buying the junk version long after the new ones come out.

assuming the statement was fact, there, were no 1300s available anywhere for months. So my assumption is that they filled the initial date of availability, and were back ordered from then on.

Again, not saying that it is fact, just something that I have read online...

either way, I think that they are back on track!!

my 1300 is humming along nicely as well of late; put back the original fan and firepot and top2bottoms temps stabilized (smoke daddy 9hole firepot and smoke daddy fan helped before updates, but then with updates i had up/down temp variation); auger replaced, original parts minus fan collar and i'm liking it greatly. i too find supersmoke to still put out a hint of soot and i just add a pellet tube instead if needed and don't use it... i suspect they will iron it out eventually and i would not 'rewire' the things as described earlier given they have been able to eventually address the myriad issues. pretty happy all in all; at least no longer agitated :shock:.

I am having issues with an 850 with horrible soot. They are sending me a new fan. Has anyone else gotten a new fan and did that fix the problem? Are there other things I should be looking for? Is it strictly the fault of the fan shutting off and on during Super Smoke and I should just avoid Super Smoke mode? This thread has been super helpful and I look forward to getting to know everyone here.

I am having issues with an 850 with horrible soot. They are sending me a new fan. Has anyone else gotten a new fan and did that fix the problem? Are there other things I should be looking for? Is it strictly the fault of the fan shutting off and on during Super Smoke and I should just avoid Super Smoke mode? This thread has been super helpful and I look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Having the same issue with my 850. Called support, they said they would look into it. That’s been 3 weeks ago. I’ve heard nothing. I’ve decided to try and sell mine at this point. Had enough of the frustration.

i think their super-smoke setting is all jacked up... still. i don't use it b/c of the ongoing sooting thing.

add a tube or give a little extra time and run low temps for beginning of cook; builds up enough smoke flavor without soot.

From what I understand it is most likely due to shutting the fan off and on during super smoke, not just slowing it way down. I only use SS for short periods like sausage or getting some smoke on a steak. I typically do long cooks like shoulder at 250, so it doesn't bother me too much.

i gave up

found myself still longing for a better cooker than the timberline turned out to be... was putting out decent food but never really trusted it. recent GFCI tripping repeatedly was the final straw. ultimately it was only the hotrod but i decided i was done futzing with that thing and sold it on craigslist (after replacing hotrod).

Mak 1 star with flame zone delivery tomorrow (5days from order). bet it will be a smoother start than the timberline was...

mine has been working fine but I get you on the trust issue I have not had any problems lately but I the thought is in the back of my mind

Mak 1 star with flame zone delivery tomorrow (5days from order). bet it will be a smoother start than the timberline was...
I'm thinking real hard about purchasing a MAK 1 Star with the FZ, so I hope you post up your thoughts after a few cooks.

found myself still longing for a better cooker than the timberline turned out to be... was putting out decent food but never really trusted it. recent GFCI tripping repeatedly was the final straw. ultimately it was only the hotrod but i decided i was done futzing with that thing and sold it on craigslist (after replacing hotrod).

I ended up selling my Timberline on Craigslist as well. It ran fine (super-smoke not withstanding) but when a lightly used Yoder YS1500 came available semi local to me I couldn't pass it up.

Back