Surprise Brethren Package

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Staff member
Reaction score
So the postman left a package pickup slip on my door earlier in the week. Hmmm... Not expecting any packages. Post office is closed by the time I get back home from work, so I finally went today to pick it up.

What do you know, it's a package from a Brethren. Some spices direct from Israel. THANKS OferL!!! A very nice unexpected surprise.

zTzGvTl.jpg

A container of Za'atar spice. This stuff tastes pretty darned good, had never heard of it before.

ibLuOp4.jpg

A container of Shawarma spice.

nyRPbwA.jpg

And a container of Meat on the griddle rub. LOVE the name! Not as sweet as our BBQ rubs here in the US, has a nice subtle kick of heat.

txvUjOm.jpg

Now to figure out how to use them...

Very cool. I wouldn't mind a surprise like that.

Any idea where one could secure or re-order such rubs? I'd want to get my hands on some just to experiment.

Strong, OferL!

Andy, I seriously look forward to seeing what kind of shenanigans you can get into with that box of goodness! Hope you'll keep us in the loop as you experiment!

Strong, OferL!

Andy, I seriously look forward to seeing what kind of shenanigans you can get into with that box of goodness! Hope you'll keep us in the loop as you experiment!

Grilling up some chops with the meat on griddle rub! Let the chops marinade about a half hour, rub didn't dissolve at all. Rather surprised, sure look good though...

Just saw this.
Hope you enjoy it Andy and thanks for the kind words everyone.
Zaatar is the only one that has salt in it. It is used like ssv3 showed, mainly on pastries but also with chicken and fish.

I now realize the other "rubs" are not what you'd consider rubs at all. Thise are spice mixes. I bought them at a spice store. Good spice stores don't mix salt with their spices.

The shawarma mix is based on tumeric and other stuff.
What I called "meat on the griddle rub" need some explanation.
There is a popular street food called Meorav Yerushalmi.
Loose translation would be Jerusalem Mix.
That's chicken parts, chicken liver and onion quickly seared on a hot griddle with oil and this spice mix. Thrown into Pita bread with hummus thahina and hot spice.
So I named it as close as I could to relate to familiar terms.
Don't expect it to dissolve like rub.
It has a light kick due to some spicy papprika but other flavors shine through. Have fun and enjoy!

Back