MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

If ya cook anything long enuf it will fall apart. That doent mean its Pulled.
What temp does your deer have to reach to be pulled. Id love to try it. Let me know.

With Beef and pork its 195 to 210 usually.

A long cooking or heat process will result in,

dis·in·te·grate
[ diss íntə gràyt ]

1. break into fragments: to break into components or fragments, or break something into small pieces or constituent parts
  2. lose wholeness: to destroy the cohesion, unity, or wholeness of something, or undergo such destruction
Gotta get me some of that Disintegrated Deer. Sorry I had too. I am kidding.
We can also debate that deer from Northern MN taste different than the deer from Southern MN. I got the time.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Last edited by WineMaster; 02-26-2013 at 02:00 PM..
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Winemaster,

I'm just going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Some cuts of meat do not pull as well as others. Of course pork butt is the best for pulling. But I made a damn nice lean pork sirloin roast that I browned, foiled at 165, cooked to 205, and pulled apart after foiling and seasoned. There was little to no fat and it was quite good. Its what I had to work with. I think venison cooking is like cooking very lean cuts of beef or pork. You just have to pull a few more tricks.

First you say pulling venison not your prefered method and then in another post you say you would love to try it. So I take it that you have not tried it, yet you are offering your advice. That's fine but you rip into the method pretty hard for someone that has not tried it. Whether it falls apart on its own or has to be pulled by hand or shredded with forks, it is all good if properly moistened/seasoned in my opinion. You might not share that opinion but I would appreciate if you would back off a little on the snarkiness.

That being said, I find that each venison roast has its own personality, no different than other forms of meat. Some are stay tough longer, some give up easy. I have found if i get around 200-210 that I can get most venison roasts pulled apart. Then I like to add seasoned broth back into it to add some additional moisture to the meat.

As far as the north versus south Minnesota deer debate, I actually hunt 20 miles from Ontario weekend 1 and 20 miles from Iowa weekend 2. For those not from Minnesota we have a pretty clear line between deep northern forest deer and deer that get there fill of corn and soybeans in the south. I am eating a Southwestern MN doe this year that is fantastic! I also have had a forkhorn from the North Country that was very good and would consider her equal. The worst deer I have had all were run hard on drives, from both North and South. All in all, my favorite deer were all harvested when they had no idea that I was there. I think chased/wounded deer can get off flavors. I have shot over 30 deer and really enjoy the meat. Also had the chance years back to shoot a Minnesota bull moose. It dressed out at 1200 lbs. and was some of the best meat I have ever enjoyed.

I'd like to think that I know my way around fixing venison through trial and error and getting feedback from many folks about what they think after trying it.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
Winemaster,

I'm just going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Some cuts of meat do not pull as well as others. Of course pork butt is the best for pulling. But I made a damn nice lean pork sirloin roast that I browned, foiled at 165, cooked to 205, and pulled apart after foiling and seasoned. There was little to no fat and it was quite good. Its what I had to work with. I think venison cooking is like cooking very lean cuts of beef or pork. You just have to pull a few more tricks.

First you say pulling venison not your prefered method and then in another post you say you would love to try it. So I take it that you have not tried it, yet you are offering your advice. That's fine but you rip into the method pretty hard for someone that has not tried it. Whether it falls apart on its own or has to be pulled by hand or shredded with forks, it is all good if properly moistened/seasoned in my opinion. You might not share that opinion but I would appreciate if you would back off a little on the snarkiness.

That being said, I find that each venison roast has its own personality, no different than other forms of meat. Some are stay tough longer, some give up easy. I have found if i get around 200-210 that I can get most venison roasts pulled apart. Then I like to add seasoned broth back into it to add some additional moisture to the meat.

As far as the north versus south Minnesota deer debate, I actually hunt 20 miles from Ontario weekend 1 and 20 miles from Iowa weekend 2. For those not from Minnesota we have a pretty clear line between deep northern forest deer and deer that get there fill of corn and soybeans in the south. I am eating a Southwestern MN doe this year that is fantastic! I also have had a forkhorn from the North Country that was very good and would consider her equal. The worst deer I have had all were run hard on drives, from both North and South. All in all, my favorite deer were all harvested when they had no idea that I was there. I think chased/wounded deer can get off flavors. I have shot over 30 deer and really enjoy the meat. Also had the chance years back to shoot a Minnesota bull moose. It dressed out at 1200 lbs. and was some of the best meat I have ever enjoyed.

I'd like to think that I know my way around fixing venison through trial and error and getting feedback from many folks about what they think after trying it.
Im fine with that. I have had crock pot roasts b-4. Most sportsman that hunt deer have im sure. Why did I ask what temp you cook it to to get pulled? Because I dont agree that you can cook a deer and get pulled. You can IMO cook a deer till it falls apart yes.
Just because we disagree on a topic dont make it a bad thing.

Dan

YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Whoa whoa whoa......hold up!

Everyone knows that Missouri White Tail Does taste best

Pulled, shredded, disintegrated. What ever it is taste good that's all that matters.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Im fine with that. I have had crock pot roasts b-4. Most sportsman that hunt deer have im sure. Why did I ask what temp you cook it to to get pulled? Because I dont agree that you can cook a deer and get pulled. You can IMO cook a deer till it falls apart yes.
Just because we disagree on a topic dont make it a bad thing.

Dan
Never said it was bad. Just defending my honor. Try the roast on your smoker, foil with broth fortified with garlic and pepper until it hits 205, then rest it a bit and let me know. If it doesn't pull, I'll let you buy me a beer and we can discuss it some time.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

Smoking Westy, that bacon wrapped backstrap looks killer!

Grain Belt, I never thought about cooking venison that way. I am going to try your method on a boneless deer roast this weekend.
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post

Pulled, shredded, disintegrated. What ever it is taste good that's all that matters.
You got that right!

YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
Never said it was bad. Just defending my honor. Try the roast on your smoker, foil with broth fortified with garlic and pepper until it hits 205, then rest it a bit and let me know. If it doesn't pull, I'll let you buy me a beer and we can discuss it some time.
Only one problem. All my deer from this year has gone through the grinder already. I do have some Backstraps left but they are my favorite jerky meat or I use a slicer to get them paper thin and wrap big diver scallops with them. Come to a BBQ comp this year. I'll buy ya a beer no problem.

YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Great thread. Not very creative here. Mostly make CFS out of the backstrap & tenderloins & then make a good amount of chili and the rest is whatever my wife wants to do with ground venison (meatloaf or spaghetti usually).

Quote:
Would like to verify this. Have only had Texas, Arkansas and Tennessee venison. Please send a backstrap (or several from different areas of the state) and i will post results.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great! A large part of my family food comes from wild game-deer, wild hogs, and all kinds of other game. I find that deer meat works great any way you would use beef or lamb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Too lean for pulled.
Not true, IMO. I make deer bbq frequently, and it turns out great. I like to drape it with bacon while I'm cooking it, though.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #26
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
Looks great! A large part of my family food comes from wild game-deer, wild hogs, and all kinds of other game. I find that deer meat works great any way you would use beef or lamb.

Not true, IMO. I make deer bbq frequently, and it turns out great. I like to drape it with bacon while I'm cooking it, though.
I am wrong, Its not too lean. You just drape fat over it for the flavor right. Its not that its too lean so much as it is the lack of intermuscular fat and conective tissue that converts to gelatin and creates meat soft enough to pull. Unless its sausage IMO roasts taste nasty. Too much good meat out there. I love venison sausage though.

YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

A small grocery store in my town has a pork shoulder sale every 2nd week of deer hunting. I buy 35 lbs. ground. I then get the equiv of about 1 deer ground per year and then make meatballs, meatloaf, and burgers with a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 pork to venison ratio. It makes for some good eating and my family loves it. I made a smoked meatball stew the other day that was not too shabby.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #28
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I got three white tail this year and have been using the meat a lot lately. I love the stuff.

buck-n-bourbon is tasty and you can throw anything into the pot.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=127637
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=153766

brats and andouille sausage..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148471

snak sticks on the UDS..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146201

venison shoulder on the campfire.. I like it marinated then slow roasted
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=137602

venison pastrami has to be one of my favorites..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=123467

Ate venison stew the last two days. Really kept me warm through the blizzard.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #29
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot View Post
Would like to verify this. Have only had Texas, Arkansas and Tennessee venison. Please send a backstrap (or several from different areas of the state) and i will post results.
Sorry, local pickup only.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #30
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Obviously you've never had a corn fed Illinois whitetail, everyone knows they taste the best...