Brisket, Pork, and Ribs

cgel42

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey Brethren. I am curious as to how everyone reheats their meat. I have my office coming over on a Wednesday for lunch. The menu will have Brisket, Pulled pork, St. Louis Ribs, smoked mac&chesse, poppers, and some beans. There is no way I can have all this ready the day of so I am planning on smoking the Brisket and pork this weekend and put it in a food saver. Come day of I will put it back on the smoker to warm it up.

Questions: Brisket - I am planning on letting it sit for a while and the seal it with some juices and put it in the fridge. Then, day of I will heat it back up. I guess I just need to get it warm all the way through since it has already been cooked. Thoughts?

Pulled Pork - I am thinking I need to pull it after it sits and the seal it up with the juices. Then I can just put it all in a pan and warm it back up on the smoker with some more au jus from the cook. Thoughts?

Everything else will be day of....

The best way if you are vacuum packing is to reheat in near boiling water. That does take a while though.

Pulled pork is more tolerant of alternate reheating methods than brisket. Reheating pulled pork in a covered pan works pretty well. Brisket, not so much in my opinion. For me, brisket (with juices) reheats best either in water or in the microwave (with just a little bit of the vacuum bag snipped off to let air out).

I put brisket in a restaurant pan to cook it all the time. When it is probe tender I take it off and let it cool off enough so that I can easily pick up the pan and not burn myself. I then put it in the refrigerator until the brisket is cold. I get it back out and cut the flat from the point. I then get out the meat slicer and slice the brisket into thin slices and put them right back in the pan where they came from. After slicing and replacing the brisket I cover it with foil and put it back in the refrigerator until I am ready to heat it up. When I am ready to heat it, I fire up the smoker or the oven. I pour a can of beef broth over the brisket and put a double layer of tin foil over the restaurant pan and heat it for 45 minutes or an hour. Comes out tinder and moist. I have yet to have any leftovers. I usually cook it one day and serve it the next, but there is no reason you could not reheat it a few days later.

I put brisket in a restaurant pan to cook it all the time. When it is probe tender I take it off and let it cool off enough so that I can easily pick up the pan and not burn myself. I then put it in the refrigerator until the brisket is cold. I get it back out and cut the flat from the point. I then get out the meat slicer and slice the brisket into thin slices and put them right back in the pan where they came from. After slicing and replacing the brisket I cover it with foil and put it back in the refrigerator until I am ready to heat it up. When I am ready to heat it, I fire up the smoker or the oven. I pour a can of beef broth over the brisket and put a double layer of tin foil over the restaurant pan and heat it for 45 minutes or an hour. Comes out tinder and moist. I have yet to have any leftovers. I usually cook it one day and serve it the next, but there is no reason you could not reheat it a few days later.

So do you leave the au jus in the pan while it is in the fridge? What about the pork? Would you pull it after the initial cook or wait before serving?

Yes I leave the au jus in the pan, I trim my briskets pretty close. I have a friend who does not trim at all and he just breaks out some of the fat when he reheats his.
I have not found a great way to hold pork though. When I cook pork it is usually bone in pork butts, and I usually chop the pork and vacuum seal what I will not be eating on that day. I have put it in a pan with a little apple juice and reheated it on the smoker before, but it is never quite as good as what was freshly cooked. Also after vacuum sealing it I break it up and put it in a bowl so the meat will expand for a day or so. You can cooler pork for four to six hours, by foiling and wrapping it in towels as long as it is still holding its heat but that is about as long as it will hold and that is pushing it.
Maybe someone else will know a good way to hold pork where it still taste as good as it did the first day. I would like to know how to do that myself.

Back