MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
foppa78
On the road to being a farker

Default Turkey test run and a question (pic included)

This past weekend I did a test run on a 14 pound butterball. I brined it for a day (will cut the salt back next time just a bit) and let it rest for another day before a butter injection and smoking at 350. It took 2 hours and 37 mins. I let the turkey sit uncovered for 30 mins before tearing into it. The inside could have been cooked just a little longer. The middle was perfectly moist but the outermost area was a little tough and dry. I know I needed to let it cook just a little longer but the outside was already tough and dry. Any suggestions?

foppa78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Did you cook over direct or indirect heat? Direct heat cooking might cause the outer layers to be tougher/dryer possibly...
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
foppa78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Did you cook over direct or indirect heat? Direct heat cooking might cause the outer layers to be tougher/dryer possibly...
It was on the Akorn kamado with a pizza pan and a foil tray under it. It was not direct heat.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Were you going by the dome temp or a digital thermometer inside the Akorn? My Akorn and quite a few others seem to read 40-60 degrees lower than actual temp on the dome thermometer.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Try and ice the breasts next time. May help.

I assume you mean that the outside of the breast was done? This may help keep the breast meet about 1/2 or so behind the rest of the bird?

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Baboontyme
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

You can also foil or tent the drums, thighs and wings if they're getting too dark. Maybe the skin was just burnt a little too much? The suggestion about icing the breastesses is probably the best one.
Baboontyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
foppa78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Were you going by the dome temp or a digital thermometer inside the Akorn? My Akorn and quite a few others seem to read 40-60 degrees lower than actual temp on the dome thermometer.
I have the new Maverick wireless thermometer. Yeah my dome thermometer is also off a ways. Putting ice on the breast might be worth a try.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
mbshop
Babbling Farker

since i tried the ice on the breast idea years ago, i have had great turkeys. it takes the stress out of cooking the two meats. at least that works for me. by the time the breast is about 165 i know the rest is done. also do not truss the bird up tight, leave the legs loose.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Lower temp with longer cooking time maybe?
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Cover the breasts in bacon until the IT gets to 145-150, then pull the bacon and feed it to the dog. Provides a nice shield for the breast meat, acts as a baster and it's BACON! Helps keep the breast moist while the rest of the bird catches up.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

350 seems a bit high. I usually smoke at 300. Last one was 13lbs and smoked for 3 hours 30 minutes. The Breast temp was about 175 when I took it off - and perfect.
wmrrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

some people recommend not trussing the legs. It allows the dark meat to cook more evenly with the breast meat. Similar to icing the breast, but without the ice. When doing an untrussed bird at higher temps, it helps to make sure there is air flow through the center of bird so it cooks from the inside too. If you fill it up with so much stuff that it impedes the flow, the cook will end up closer to what you describe.

Nothing wrong with cooking at 350 if you like good skin, but it's possible the grate temps were hotter than the dome temp..

I personally prefer my dark meat cooked to 180+. By trussing the bird, you are slowing down the cooking process of the dark parts. By the time dark is in the right zone, white is overcooked when trussed or stuffed.

You might try spatchcocking or splitting?

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote