MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #91
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
They will be gone in 5 years and you will be stuck with something that is worthless.
I think that comment is not accurate.

Unlike a computer, a simple piece of equipment like a smoker does not become obsolete merely because time passes. If a cooker is well built and functions properly, it has intrinsic value that doesn't depend on what happens with the company that made it.

For example, I see you are a fan of Backwoods Smokers. By this line of thinking, a shiny new Competitor purchased today would be "worthless" if Mike retired next year and chose to close the doors. That just doesn't make sense to me - a good cooker today is still a good cooker tomorrow as long as you take care of it.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #92
Memphis Que
On the road to being a farker

I think it's funny when dealers of different smokers get in a pizzing match over which of their smokers is best. Like these are totally unbiased opinions, right?

If you have to promote your product by trashing your competitor's product, that doesn't say much for your product.
Memphis Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #93
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

So moral of the story here gentlemen............is he should "build an uds"????

Has no one seriously said this yet?? I'm ashamed of some of you. Oh wait we aren't in Q Talk......

Old 07-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #94
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Que View Post
I think it's funny when dealers of different smokers get in a pizzing match over which of their smokers is best. Like these are totally unbiased opinions, right?

If you have to promote your product by trashing your competitor's product, that doesn't say much for your product.
Heck that happens 24/7 on this forum whether it be someone in general talking about how WSMs blow because of the door leak or stick burners for be maintenance heavy or a COS for being a fuel hog or for most gravity fed cookers not being designed well because the bottom rack is so much hotter because the heat comes from the bottom.

Nothing different here. Let's not kid ourselves here....it ain't just dealers

Old 07-12-2014, 05:33 AM   #95
Memphis Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Heck that happens 24/7 on this forum whether it be someone in general talking about how WSMs blow because of the door leak or stick burners for be maintenance heavy or a COS for being a fuel hog or for most gravity fed cookers not being designed well because the bottom rack is so much hotter because the heat comes from the bottom.

Nothing different here. Let's not kid ourselves here....it ain't just dealers
People who purchase and have used a particular brand of smoker are one thing. That's one of the things that makes a forum like this so valuable. People who make a living selling a particular brand are another.

Of course, they have the right to say whatever they want. It's a free country, but don't be under any illusion that what the dealers are saying is anything more than what the car salesman down the street will tell you when you walk on his lot.

Dealers are great if you want to know things like the specs, capacity, and burn times of their smokers, but when they go beyond that and start trashing their competitor's product, that raises a red flag for me.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #96
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Que View Post
People who purchase and have used a particular brand of smoker are one thing. That's one of the things that makes a forum like this so valuable. People who make a living selling a particular brand are another.

Of course, they have the right to say whatever they want. It's a free country, but don't be under any illusion that what the dealers are saying is anything more than what the car salesman down the street will tell you when you walk on his lot.

Dealers are great if you want to know things like the specs, capacity, and burn times of their smokers, but when they go beyond that and start trashing their competitor's product, that raises a red flag for me.

Dont generalize a delaer being a car sales men which is basically saying we don't know what our pruduct or what it can do.. I am fully involved with my product and new ones that come out. I know BBQ and I know my product!! Keep your half assed comments to yourself!! One more thing I didn't start the pissing match but I will defend myself. I will not comment on this
Any further.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #97
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

I vote UDS. Black Betty produced a 1st place chicken (180) and 3rd place brisket out of 35 teams 3 weeks ago. I love my ghetto smoker.

[IMG][/IMG]

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #98
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
So moral of the story here gentlemen............is he should "build an uds"????

Has no one seriously said this yet?? I'm ashamed of some of you. Oh wait we aren't in Q Talk......
Actually, said that back n page 2. I can't believe that didn't stop the whole thread. Ha

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #99
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
Actually, said that back n page 2. I can't believe that didn't stop the whole thread. Ha
Yeah I actually don't read so good......

Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #100
Memphis Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
Dont generalize a delaer being a car sales men which is basically saying we don't know what our pruduct or what it can do.. I am fully involved with my product and new ones that come out. I know BBQ and I know my product!! Keep your half assed comments to yourself!! One more thing I didn't start the pissing match but I will defend myself. I will not comment on this
Any further.
You don't think good car salesmen know their product as much as you know yours?

Thanks for making my point for me with your nutty rant. You are really coming across very well in promoting your product.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #101
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

SPICEWINE Cooked on mine for several years no problems. Great company!

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #102
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
I think that comment is not accurate.

Unlike a computer, a simple piece of equipment like a smoker does not become obsolete merely because time passes. If a cooker is well built and functions properly, it has intrinsic value that doesn't depend on what happens with the company that made it.

For example, I see you are a fan of Backwoods Smokers. By this line of thinking, a shiny new Competitor purchased today would be "worthless" if Mike retired next year and chose to close the doors. That just doesn't make sense to me - a good cooker today is still a good cooker tomorrow as long as you take care of it.
Good has nothing to do with resale. Pontiac cars are good cars. How is their resale holding up?? If Mike closed backwoods down, you can bet your ass they would take a nasty hit on resale. Steelcraft Smokers is a prime example. By far the best craftsmanship I have ever seen in a smoker. They went tank. They are worth about $.30 on the $ now. Still great cookers....but that is a nasty hit. This why I say stick to a mainstream brand unless the buyer knows exactly what they want and they do not care about resale.
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #103
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Andy fad cooker. I think not you have to remember I was a Backwoods guy /dealer long before you or most people on this board. I know them inside and out!! I don't normally get in pissing matches but the amount of wins don't mean squat if your not getting your monies worth and there are significant quality issues. Believe you me we are priced right and making money. Maybe Backwoods is just over charging for what they are. I guess people are getting nervous if they have to talk this way and spy on what I am doing and report back to Mike. WA Wa get over it we make a killer unit and we are here to stay.
Pretty sure that I made no reference to any particular cooker company as a fad company but gave very general advice on staying main stream. You guys need to sell and promote the
humphrey's brand on its own merits and stop publicly slamming Backwoods and a couple others as 'you have to rebuild them'. You know as well as I do that a Backwoods is a well made unit and the people (you included) helped make the brand what it is and what it has accomplished. You don't see stump out there slamming superior or assassin do you? If the backwoods brand was not of quality, then maybe you should not have sold as many of them over time as you did? For the record, the humps are good cookers. Never have denied it. I wish the hump brand nothing but luck and good fortune.....but the public slamming and backwoods is not called for nor justified.
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #104
Memphis Que

Quote:
I will not comment on this
Any further.
Anybody want to bet on this?

Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #105
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
Good has nothing to do with resale. Pontiac cars are good cars. How is their resale holding up?? If Mike closed backwoods down, you can bet your ass they would take a nasty hit on resale. Steelcraft Smokers is a prime example. By far the best craftsmanship I have ever seen in a smoker. They went tank. They are worth about $.30 on the $ now. Still great cookers....but that is a nasty hit. This why I say stick to a mainstream brand unless the buyer knows exactly what they want and they do not care about resale.
What does a manufacturer closing have to do with resale. It ain't like someone is taking a 5 year old used pit and shipping it back to the manufacturer for repairs, or that many of these need much in the way of parts, outside pellet cookers.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote