MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #31
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Worst case, you are going to have a great big batch of chili.
Truth. Also beef stroganoff is killer made with brisket. You'll never go back.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #32
didisea
Take a breath!

I think you were a little underdone on the cook time, and leaving it on the bench for 90 minutes in paper was I think what tightened it up a lot. I would have wrapped it in a towel and put it in a dry cooler preheated with boiling water.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2018, 06:12 AM   #33
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

^^^ Me too. Although I really think that's not the whole issue. A few things don't make sense. Short cooktime but temping at +200F with reliable gear. Only a 5kg briskey... was it a full brisket or just the flat etc. It would be good to know if it was Angus or something else. Buying brisket in Melbourne is getting better, but not an exact science just yet. I have bought meat labeled as brisket that was belly plate and that is a whole different deal all together.

Can only recommend you do it again with a bigger brisket at 225 to 250 and just forget about the internal temperature. It's ready when it probes ready in the flat (with that Thermopen or a large skewer) and that's all there is to it. When you pull it, wrap in a towel or 2 and rest in an Esky for 2 hours minumum. Naturally... make sure you start way early in case it takes forever!

Don't forget to invite me over...

Cheers!
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #34
nautique1228
On the road to being a farker

In my opinion, you rested to long. I usually let my brisket rest 15-30 min and then into the cambro. Depends on if the cambro is hot or cold. Most of the time my pork is done first and in the cambro so it is already hot. I’ll let it sit outside wrapped in foil for 10-15 min or so and then into the cambro with the door vented for maybe another 10 min. I usually don’t temp when I slice, Bc at that point it is what it is. I’ll try and take note at my next cook on temp when I slice. But best guess I’m still 180ish

Edit: time in cambro is usually and hr or more. So I’m probably at about 90min total rest

Old 09-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #35
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
I don't know what part you probed but that brisket is definitely not done

based on the picture i'd tend to agree with this. that slice of brisket has way too much fat in there that should of rendered off.
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #36
Big N Hot
Full Fledged Farker

The point will probe tender waaaaaay before the flat. When I pull it out to wrap it I typically separate point from flat. I cube the point for burnt ends. At that point the cubes are like little racquetballs in texture. Much more rendering to be done.
Big N Hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #37
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

As for probes, go order some take out Chinese food, and grab a bunch of those wooden chopsticks. Pointy, but not sharp. Takes a little pressure to break through the bark, but you'll know when the middle is tender.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #38
Mac man 76
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Yeah it's under done . Don't know what happened that's just brisket
Mac man 76 is offline   Reply With Quote