MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
dseskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Darrel
Default Brisket - Temperature vs Timing and Beef Ribs

Hi Friends,

This weekend I went ahead and smoked a brisket - (15lb) and some beef ribs.

My first problem was that I needed to fold the brisket over itself to fit into my smoker, I folded it over with the flat facincing up and fat cap facing down - I inserted the temperature probe into the point and when the smoker was running at 225 F in it went.

When the temp reached 160 F I removed the brisket, separated the flat and point - wrapped in foil and back in it went until the temp reached 196 F.

Both were removed and let to rest for 1.5 hrs.

My problem was that the brisket was not ready and could have stayed in the smoker for a cpl more hrs as it was not as tender as I was hoping for.

Therefore my question is as follows - do you test for tenderness and temperature of which one should take precedence ?

My Beef ribs were great as were the burnt ends made from the point.

In the pictures, I have shown the brisket after 1 hr, then prior to wrapping after separating the point and flat.

Comments are always welcome
dseskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
dseskin
Knows what a fatty is.

I have tried uploading the pictures but seem to be having an issue

Old 11-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
dseskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseskin View Post
I have tried uploading the pictures but seem to be having an issue
trying to add pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brisket new.jpg (41.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg brisket new 1.jpg (57.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg burnt.jpg (69.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Ribs.jpg (44.2 KB, 101 views)

Old 11-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

test for tenderness, temp is not important. probe the thickest part of the flat and when it slides in easily it is ready. if there is resistance let it ride another 30 minutes and check again.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Internal temperature is not a reliable test since each piece of meat is unique and will be done at a different temp. Most of us go by feel and look for our probe to go into the thickest part of the flat with little to no resistance.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
dseskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
test for tenderness, temp is not important. probe the thickest part of the flat and when it slides in easily it is ready. if there is resistance let it ride another 30 minutes and check again.

Thanks Paul, I was concerned it would be dried out

Old 11-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
hogs122
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseskin View Post
Thanks Paul, I was concerned it would be dried out
Brisket will be dry and tough if it's under-cooked. It will be dry and crumbling if it's over-cooked. Don't worry about it drying out after a certain temperature. It should be nice and moist once you're able to probe the thickest part of the flat without resistance. The point is very forgiving due to all of the fat content, so focus solely on the flat.

Temp is a decent indicator on when you should begin probing. But, I've had briskets finished at 195 degrees and all the way up to 220ish.

Custom Insulated Reverse Flow Cabinet
Kamado Joe Big Joe
UDS
hogs122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
dseskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogs122 View Post
Brisket will be dry and tough if it's under-cooked. It will be dry and crumbling if it's over-cooked. Don't worry about it drying out after a certain temperature. It should be nice and moist once you're able to probe the thickest part of the flat without resistance. The point is very forgiving due to all of the fat content, so focus solely on the flat.

Temp is a decent indicator on when you should begin probing. But, I've had briskets finished at 195 degrees and all the way up to 220ish.

Awesome - thanks guys - I was probing and measuring the point being the thickest piece - Next time will be the flat - you guys all rock

Old 11-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
dseskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Internal temperature is not a reliable test since each piece of meat is unique and will be done at a different temp. Most of us go by feel and look for our probe to go into the thickest part of the flat with little to no resistance.
Thanks Ron - back to basics and will try this again - its was not bad at all - just not as tender as I have done in the past

Old 11-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #10
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't cook to a temp cook until its tender in the thickest part of the flat (probes like peanut butter) at 225 a 15 lb packer will take 22 hrs aprox to achieve this. I don't cook anything below 300 deg. Cook the flat not the point if the flat is done the point will be too.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
Harrjack
Knows what a fatty is.

I've been using Bludawgs brisket procedure this year and everyone has be great. I've actually cooked 6 at a time.
Harrjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
dseskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrjack View Post
I've been using Bludawgs brisket procedure this year and everyone has be great. I've actually cooked 6 at a time.
Time to try this method

Old 11-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrjack View Post
Me too ..Havent cooked 6 but the Method is tried and true.
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef back ribs, Brisket Flat, burnt end