• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Quit my job, time to open up a BBQ Restaurant!

They are! It was operating as a pizzeria late last year, closed shortly after the hurricane. Unfortunately some of it is very outdated. The restrooms look like they are from my childhood, haha. I am also on a semi-tight budget (for a restaurant) so I might have to overlook some things until money starts to flow.

And here I thought the bathrooms looked nice and clean :lol:

So it finally came time to hand in my notice at work to prepare for a long (and hopefully prosperous) journey to open a Smokehouse in my home city of Wilmington, NC. I currently am a GM of a "famous" Southern Fried Chicken QSR and am (mostly) prepared for this trip. After binge reading through another post on here about another brethren's journey, I've decided to share mine.

The lease has been agreed to by both parties and now we are signing the documents next week! Food distributors have been lined up, smokers are about to be ordered, and now preparing for the start of everything else! I'm excited, nervous, and anxious but in my heart I know this is what I want to do.

Cape Fear Smokehouse- Coming October 2019!
Best of Luck to you, we did it 15 years ago in June and it's been blowing and going from the start. However now we are getting ready to sell ours, health issues for this old man. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Chris

There are a lot of dollar saving things in place, assuming they are in ok working order or can be brought up to working order. I have built out 2 BBQ restaurants and I know how the money flies out of the pockets in the strangest places.

It is a labor of love and I wish you the best of luck

For sure, having the hood system/ansul saves me thousands as does the walk-in coolers and grease trap. Just out of curiosity could I ask what the 2 restaurants you started up cost?

And here I thought the bathrooms looked nice and clean :lol:

Haha they are! The restaurant itself is very clean, although dated. I'm hoping my product speaks for itself because not much money has been budgeted for renovations. Dumpster pad fence, minor landscaping, and a good power wash of the building is all I am going to probably do before open. Everything else is for FFE, legal fees, labor, and small cash on hand fund

Best of Luck to you, we did it 15 years ago in June and it's been blowing and going from the start. However now we are getting ready to sell ours, health issues for this old man. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Chris

I am definitely going to take you up on that for sure! I appreciate ALL the love shared on this forum, it helps to easy my anxiety haha. What was the biggest upfront challenge you encountered during your build out phase?

Need all the Brethren to send you license plates from all over. Can't have a BBQ place without plates! Just kidding. Good luck on your new path!

I think the building looks super. And as far as the restrooms? Nobody goes to a smokehouse for the fancy restrooms. Clean and bright are where it's at - especially clean.

The building is fine - let the cooking do the talking.

Good luck man!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm digging the restraint. Can't wait to see it full of happy customers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Best of luck!!!!! As far as the bathrooms goes. Keep them clean as said before and they will be fine. Take pride in every area of your restaurant including the bathrooms. Clean restaurants do better most the time assuming good food/service.

Hope everything goes well. I know this is a ton of work and love to be putting into one space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wishing you the best of luck!

That premises really has potential. Solid floors, wash area, walk-in fridges, front counter, canopy for the cookers etc is a really big deal.

Had a look at those pits. Smart move for a new restaurant. You don't want to be screwing around with pits that might give you a variable result... especially if you're not the Pitmaster all the time.

Suggest you have a look at a few BBQ related shows of "Restaurant Impossible" to get some ideas for decoration on a budget.

Honestly, what you are doing takes guts.

Hope you can keep posting. Once you get busy, you might not have the time.

Cheers!

Wow! Following this for sure.

Wishing you the best of luck and success with this venture. If we are up that way in the trailer after you open, I'll make sure we take a side trip to say howdy and sample the excellent Q.

Planning on a full service sit down bbq restaurant or buy by the pound and sit down type? Looks like the pizza place had a buffet set up.

Wishing you the best of luck!

That premises really has potential. Solid floors, wash area, walk-in fridges, front counter, canopy for the cookers etc is a really big deal.

Had a look at those pits. Smart move for a new restaurant. You don't want to be screwing around with pits that might give you a variable result... especially if you're not the Pitmaster all the time.

Suggest you have a look at a few BBQ related shows of "Restaurant Impossible" to get some ideas for decoration on a budget.

Honestly, what you are doing takes guts.

Hope you can keep posting. Once you get busy, you might not have the time.

Cheers!

Yeah it was pretty much the only location that had all the basic infrastructure I needed in the area, so that was huge. The CTO pit is a great smoker, and having the simplicity of running those pits will be a huge advantage, I deserve 1 day off out of 7 eventually right?? I'm actually still toying around with the idea of closing on Mondays, but I probably won't do that for at least several months of operation.

I am going to check out a few episodes, I definitely am on a budget. Was planning on buying a lot of my FFE (outside of smokers) at auctions.

I hope I get to the point where I can only update sporadically due to the business! I'll do my best as the months go by to post as many updates as possible

You guys are the best!

Planning on a full service sit down bbq restaurant or buy by the pound and sit down type? Looks like the pizza place had a buffet set up.

Definitely not full service, I want to get people in and out as quickly as possible due to dining room limitations. Quick service, order at one end, pick up food at the other end. Also have a drive thru that I plan on utilizing in the future for call in orders.

It would be cool if you could have the meat sliced in front of the customer at that front counter as they ordered like at Franklin BBQ.

Back