Sip & Swine Charity Cook 4th Edition 2019 (Also competing this time.....with just my Pit Boss??)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
One week out till our 4th charity cook at the Sip & Swine BBQ Festival! Fingers crossed for good weather as it's been perfect the first 3 years. As of now Saturday looks like it should be ok :-D. We will be getting the Shirley out to cook with 100% of our proceeds going to the event charity, Home of Hope Gwinnett Children's Shelter :clap2:.

Last year were did 70+ racks of ribs and 80lbs of chicken for chicken tacos. Plan as of now is to cook the same amount of ribs, but change out the tacos for nachos and will do pulled pork nachos. Also changing out slaw for baked beans. Since the weather can change at any moment we won't get stuff till later in the week to adjust quantities as needed.

What will be a fun spin this year is we are also going to compete......and not just compete like normal on my drums which I know the timing for everything.......but do it stupid and do what people say to never do which is try new stuff at a comp. So going to wing it and cook on my Pit Boss Copperhead!!! :becky::twitch:

I've cooked on it about 5 times now, but nothing "comp" style and not all 4 meats at once. Oh ya, not going to run big meats overnight. Just wake up start cooking for the event and comp all at the same time :twitch::twitch:.

So I figured anyone who wants to come along for the "d-canoe ride" I will share as much as I can :clap2::clap2:.

This is a pic of the first brisket in the copperhead. I should be able to do all 4 meats at once. I don't know how a full smoker will affect temps or airflow, but I find it is best to just learn by doing :becky:. I'm sure I could cook some of the comp meat in my Shirley, but screw that noise, right?!?! :icon_blush:
nI0kOZjl.jpg

Here are the prior years
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226347
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243352
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257486

Last edited:
This Oarsman is on the ready!

Good luck, Jason. Will be following along.

Dang, man!! I can barely keep up with doing my comp cook, let alone trying to send also. More power to you. I will stop by and say hello, then stand way back because you will be multitasking like a mad man. BTW, I didn't realize that the Copperhead was large enough to do all 4 meats. Cool.

Dang, man!! I can barely keep up with doing my comp cook, let alone trying to send also. More power to you. I will stop by and say hello, then stand way back because you will be multitasking like a mad man. BTW, I didn't realize that the Copperhead was large enough to do all 4 meats. Cool.

Ron who knows what will happen. And definitely bug the hell out of us. We always have time.

Honestly last year (our 3rd year) our crew has it pretty dialed in. During full on service I wasn't doing much. Parents take orders/money, 2 guys make tacos and are swing guys for anything needed and my buddy that originally started the team with me was cutting all the rib orders. I was standing around drinking beer schmoozing all the folks asking about the Shirley :becky:. Been lucky to have the same folks help each year so they all know the motions.

And I should mention that the wife had her own charity event so she wasn't even there last year and will be this year. So she can run the vending while I screw around with the comp stuff :clap2:

As I mentioned before in my previous years posts I'm working to phase myself out completely :caked:. We shall see if that happens this year :twitch:.

One of the things that I keep saying about the Copperhead, is that it's great seeing so many people on here with the exact same cooker. Seeing the results you post are a fantastic way to see right away how much of it is the cook versus the cooker. I've felt more optimistic about my Que game, seeing what you guys are doing with the same Copperhead, and that I don't "need" a custom fab massive machine to turn out something that is great.

Keep it up, can't wait to hear how the cooker does in the comp.

One of the things that I keep saying about the Copperhead, is that it's great seeing so many people on here with the exact same cooker. Seeing the results you post are a fantastic way to see right away how much of it is the cook versus the cooker. I've felt more optimistic about my Que game, seeing what you guys are doing with the same Copperhead, and that I don't "need" a custom fab massive machine to turn out something that is great.

Keep it up, can't wait to hear how the cooker does in the comp.

This "cook" might be "affected" by "booze" on Saturday. So really too many variables to analyze as to why things might go sideways. Best to not even think about it :-D. And with 60+ pro teams you roll the dice anyways.

This "cook" might be "affected" by "booze" on Saturday. So really too many variables to analyze as to why things might go sideways. Best to not even think about it :-D. And with 60+ pro teams you roll the dice anyways.

Yeah...like none of my cooks are ever 'affected' by 'booze' either...

Good luck!

What is this, "booze", y'all keep bringing up???

Back