Looking for offset

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have my weber kettle and my pellet pooper now I want to get into the world of stick burning eventually any recommendations on a pit preferably less than 1000.

Old Country Brazos

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You might get a little more bang for your buck with that amount buying something used. How's Craigslist in your area? Just a thought.

Worth a look. Get a feel for a stick burner and see if you really want to spend a grand.

ziK4L2z.png

I would think the brazos would be a good choice. I don't own one, but have cooked on one a few times. Not too bad. My buddy has an OK Joe, we use it when we are hanging out at his ranch. I can get it to go what I need it to do, but its more work that I would want to do all the time. And I imagine that it might get frustrating for someone new to stick burning. Just my two cents.

I would order an Old Country Brazos or an Old Country Smokehouse -have it shipped. :heh: just make sure you got some help to unload it because most the time they show up in a box truck with no liftgate. That’s on Academy, Not Old Country, But can’t expect Much for a $150-$200 shipping fee.

I think it'd be Slim Pickens for Used where you are.........Plenty of Choices down here................

Last edited:
Used at that price imo. Cheap offsets can be notoriously difficult to run (not saying they can’t produce good food...they can)....but cheap offsets are cheap for a reason imo

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's nowhere near $1,000.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The point was to spend less than $100 to learn while shopping. Also maybe you won't like an offset so try before you buy.

If ya wanna find out if stick burning is for you, then find a used one on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or Offerup.

I bought my Brazos, that had been used three times, for $600. I'm sure I could sell it for that , if I wanted to.

And the COS like the Ok Joes or the Old Country Pecos, you should not have to pay more than half the new price.

Either way, if you like stick burning or not, you can sell it again for what ya paid for it, either to step up to a better offset .... or get out.

If ya wanna find out if stick burning is for you, then find a used one on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or Offerup.

I bought my Brazos, that had been used three times, for $600. I'm sure I could sell it for that , if I wanted to.

And the COS like the Ok Joes or the Old Country Pecos, you should not have to pay more than half the new price.

Either way, if you like stick burning or not, you can sell it again for what ya paid for it, either to step up to a better offset .... or get out.
This is basically what I did. I looked on CL and Facebook Market Place daily until I found a good deal on a quality offset to see if I liked it enough to buy a bigger more expensive one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back