Don't let friends drive Drunk and Don't let Drunk roommates use UDS

Theboz1419

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
img20110411085742.jpg

Yesterday and today I have had to smoke about 9 racks of baby back ribs for work. Did 3 yesterday and this morning I woke up and went down stairs to get the other 6 ribs ready for the UDS and then start the smoker.

As soon as I went outside I noticed something wrong the air inlets were open and it was turned I opened it up and found a few inches of water inside and then I looked more closely at the base of the UDS and then I saw what had happen whileI was sleeping yesterday and last night.

I guess my roommate, I'll call him, the Drunk, came home sometime while I was sleeeping and decided to use the UDS. Earlier in the day I was talking to him and knew the Drunk was going to use it and I told him to be carefull, make sure everything is closed down and make sure the lid is on. He had used it before and also knew that he would probably cause a problem using it down the road.

It was around 7 I went to bed and I did not think he was going to be using it that night, I thought wrong I guess. The owner of the house is the one who had put it out when he happen to look out his window and noticed the deck smoldering, not sure what time that was.

The Drunk said he is going to replace the burnt wood. I told him he is no longer going to use my weber or my UDS unless im there supervising him.

Thank God that it did not spread any further. I had stove bricks underneath it and from what I can tell the UDS must have been over 500 and a brick that was below the smoker is now laying on the ground below the hole.

So, the lesson today is if you are Drunk and not very carefull even when sober, DONT USE ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES FIRE.

Atleast I had enough charcoal left to finish the ribs for work tonight. That burn used a whole bag of lump charcoal, lol.

I never even thought a UDS would get that hot at the base, wow!

You can think of a UDS just like a chimmey Starter, only much much bigger. I had it at 400+ before, can't remember why though and it was getting very hot around the bottom and i could see the deck starting to smoke after a few minutes or so. I closed everything down and had no problems after that.

You can see where the bricks were at underneath by looking at the burn pattern

Going to get a pad for grills and then on top of that going to use the stove bricks

must have been really hot, normal use, I can put my hand on the bottom of mine.

Or your turkey Fryer! Glad it wasnt any worse....

Wow. That is scary. Like you said, luckily the damage was only that.

"The Drunk" must have had the lid off for a pretty long time...That is scary...but glad to hear there wasn't any more damage... And glad to hear that your landlord didn't make you get rid of your UDS

Glad it was no worse, as it could have been.

They can get very HOT.... I have blistered the paint off of mine, and burned the grass all around it, even sitting on bricks..... of course, the lid was off, vents closed, and I was letting it burn all the grease and crud out.... it worked. So, be very careful when the lid is off and the fire is going...... they can be dangerous.

thats a really good lesson for everyone. do not let inexperienced people use your gear.

Well if that is heart redwood the replacement price is gonna hurt! Me thinks you got lucky!

Don't know the history of the 'friendship' or 'room-mate-ship' or your relationship with the landlord, but you're lucky on several counts.....

Could've hurt someone, could've gotten kicked out of the house by the owner, etc.

LUCKY!

Don't drink and drum!!!

......OK.....unless you're experienced in that sort of thing.....

I think I'd have a few choice words (nice loud ones) with 'The Drunk'........just sayin.

Back