BBQ show on Destination America

ronbrad62

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Earlier this year, a brethren posted and asked if any BBQ shows were coming on. I just ran across one I had never heard of, "Bama-Q", and according to the information given, it is from competitions. Tomorrow morning, there are two half-hour segments (8 & 8:30 am EST), with the second show being about The Jack, part 1. With the weather being horrible for much of the East coast this weekend, this may be the best way to get a fix.

Bama-Q is just a 30 min commercial disguised as a TV show.

Time for some new BBQ Pitmasters shows.

Thanks for the heads up on the show. I agree about new BBQ Pitmasters shows, but I am afraid the peak of popularity may be gone. Myron has enough funds to produce it himself, if he so desired.

If you ever can't fall asleep at night - turn on Bama-Q. The fastest way to cure insomnia I know of.

Hey, I love watching bbq shows but I agree. I am not sure I made it through a whole 30 minutes without nodding off. My hopes were high when I saw it though. Just watch it in the morning instead

Last edited:
Here is what I lean when I watch the show:

1) People seem to cook with boxes of the sponsors products all perfectly lined up on their grills by mere chance <sarcasm>;
2) People drink at 7:07 and just happen to be surrounded by the sponsors boxes and coolies.

I had such high hopes. But it is a stunningly lame show.

Glad to hear everybody else found Bama-Q to be an absolute bore...I was feeling a bit cynical about it, but guess it's not just me. Everything about that show is just boring...even the host is bored out of her mind.

I enjoy getting insurance mailers from the rich, large motor home owner Chester. No way in heck his rates are low living in most exclusive city in AL. The host gal drives me nuts, watched 1st season on Amazon. No tks for any more.

I actually haven't seen the show till just this morning, so coincidental timing of this thread. Watched the 8am episode and now the 8:30 where they are at the Jack. A lot of what has been said is clearly true, but I don't expect much from BBQ shows. Having competed with a lot of these teams and being friends with a few it is semi-interesting to watch.

The Jack episode has me interested just because we've been there ourselves previously and you don't always get to see much from the Jack.

The product placement is what it is since how else will they get a small show like this to be produced? And if you don't compete then I can see how this show also wouldn't appeal as much because it just isn't produced as well as pitmasters was.

After the controversy a few weeks ago on social media and the KCBS response to it, team breaking KCBS rules was shown on show yet that team won the category. I dont remember if they won GC or not plus I was only reading responses. i gotta admit I am wanting to watch it just to see how obvious it was.

I will do my best to explain, but will also say I am only going by what I was reading from both sides and have yet to watch the show.

Fellow Brethren Tduffy posted on his FB page one day about seeing another team using a skillet on an electrical burner to heat up their pork before putting into turn in box. This is a violation of KCBS rules, but was clearly shown on the show. The team has had quite a bit of success. He questioned openly to the team, the organizers of the show, and KCBS...things got heated between the team, husband and wife, and him. The rep of show got on his page and pretty much made a comment about a lack of understanding KCBS rules and a couple KCBS reps commented and they said they were going to discuss at next meeting. Next meeting according to KCBS quicknotes for Nov 16th 2018 the issue was discussed in closed session and then the team was suspended. So in my opinion things were verified on rules being bent some.

This is copied for KCBS website under quick notes for that day

Closed Session Topic: Apparent violation of rule 6.

Deputy Director discussion

Contest Representatives additions.

Open session at 9:25 pm

Motion by Mike Richter -

In regards to the apparent violation of Rule #6, a motion is made to suspend the team and team members for a period of six months effective immediately from participating in any aspect of KCBS events with a one year probation period following the suspension.

Wayne Lohman - 2nd Motion passes unanimously

Again I dont know for sure on anything but it appears it was not noticed until it was pointed out on FB and such a big punishment makes me curious if this is a first time violation, according to FB posts by others it was not first time but that is just hear say which is why I want to watch to form my own opinion

Last edited:
I will do my best to explain, but will also say I am only going by what I was reading from both sides and have yet to watch the show.

Fellow Brethren Tduffy posted on his FB page one day about seeing another team using a skillet on an electrical burner to heat up their pork before putting into turn in box. This is a violation of KCBS rules, but was clearly shown on the show. The team has had quite a bit of success. He questioned openly to the team, the organizers of the show, and KCBS...things got heated between the team, husband and wife, and him. The rep of show got on his page and pretty much made a comment about a lack of understanding KCBS rules and a couple KCBS reps commented and they said they were going to discuss at next meeting. Next meeting according to KCBS quicknotes for Nov 16th 2018 the issue was discussed in closed session and then the team was suspended. So in my opinion things were verified on rules being bent some.

This is copied for KCBS website under quick notes for that day

Closed Session Topic: Apparent violation of rule 6.

Deputy Director discussion

Contest Representatives additions.

Open session at 9:25 pm

Motion by Mike Richter -

In regards to the apparent violation of Rule #6, a motion is made to suspend the team and team members for a period of six months effective immediately from participating in any aspect of KCBS events with a one year probation period following the suspension.

Wayne Lohman - 2nd Motion passes unanimously

Again I dont know for sure on anything but it appears it was not noticed until it was pointed out on FB and such a big punishment makes me curious if this is a first time violation, according to FB posts by others it was not first time but that is just hear say which is why I want to watch to form my own opinion

Thanks for the info.

I would opine it's pretty bad that 1) it wasn't previously noticed and 2) even after it aired on TV it took someone posting on FB to get any action taken (if true).

Which team was it? I don't know their names on the show but I know them by appearance.

Pappy, I am not sure which episode for sure as i dont have Destination America and havent noticed season 2 on Amazon yet. However the original FB post that started everything was on November 10th and he said did anyone see last weeks episode and then also showed pictures taken from TV of episode showing the issue.

TXNewbie, I wont publicly say the team. Because of the back and forth on FB I know who it is but dont feel I need to "out" them as there may be more to story and I havent watched yet. I hope you understand.

I am anxious to watch with my own eyes to form my own opinions of situation, but wont be able to until it is available to stream season 2 for me. My original reaction to the pictures was maybe since for TV this was something done by producers of TV show to "enhance" the show, which is why the producers comment about not knowing rules got my attention. There was a lot being said from both sides and supporters just on that particular FB post some of it purty mean spirited FROM BOTH SIDES, so i did read some things but obviously I do not know everything. All i can say is KCBS decisions and suspensions sure seem to speak quite loudly as to what happened. But again I dont know everything far from it i am just anxious to watch that particular season now.

TXNewbie, I wont publicly say the team. Because of the back and forth on FB I know who it is but dont feel I need to "out" them as there may be more to story and I havent watched yet. I hope you understand.

Though disappointed as I wanted to know who it was not as they may or may not be guilty, as I was curious who the...shall we say...discussion at KCBS was about. But I understand.

If you ever want to let us know not who is guilty per se, but simply who all the back and forth discussion is about, that would be great.

Back