MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Default Starting a new contest.

A charitable organization that I belong to is wanting to start an annual contest in our area. We are doing a small rib and chicken backyard event this year and are looking to be a full sanctioned event in 1214. We know that you don’t make much if any off of the BBQ contest it's self but we have an inside on a BIG name to do a concert on Saturday night. The organization that I belong to has myself and members of 2 other cook teams so we know what will attract teams, large prize purse, and amenities and such.

I was just wanting to know what it takes (other than the application) to get sanctioned and what would draw you in as a team?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Down here, you can fairly easily draw 45 teams with $10k purse, running water, electricity and most of the cook sites fairly flat. Bump that to $12-15k, a few more amenities (possibly free ice, breakfast, cool, hand-made trophies and decent word-of-mouth advertising and you're going to hit near 60 teams.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
Down here, you can fairly easily draw 45 teams with $10k purse, running water, electricity and most of the cook sites fairly flat. Bump that to $12-15k, a few more amenities (possibly free ice, breakfast, cool, hand-made trophies and decent word-of-mouth advertising and you're going to hit near 60 teams.
It will be at our fairgrounds whitch is huge and flat and we are looking at 15K in prize money.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
wmaes47
On the road to being a farker

Mike

You should contact the KCBS office, if that is the sanctioning body you want for your contest.

Another contact would be the KCBS Contest Representatives in your area:

George & Donna Baroody
Frederick, MD
[email protected]
[email protected]

The reps will have a lot of your answers...

Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
arrowhead
On the road to being a farker

i'm also organizing a first year contest. when we approached teams about what would appeal to them, what pigs said and also having our payouts for top 10 overall and top 10 in each category.

communication with the teams and judges is also important. nobody likes to be left hanging.

i also send our reps a monthly update on our status, even if it doesn't change much.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
It will be at our fairgrounds whitch is huge and flat and we are looking at 15K in prize money.
Call the office, and/or visit kcbs.us and get the new organizers packet. There are a lot of answers in there for you. There is a requirement for a new organizer to get some training from an existing contest/organizer. A detailed event plan may be substituted, but I'd strongly suggest that you contact a respected organizer about attending their contest to check that box.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

$15k in purse money....you need to get sanctioned. Otherwise, you are going to have a bunch of backyard teams and a few pro teams show up. Guess who is probably going to take home most all the money?

A shortcut to circumvent the organizer training might be to hire a seasoned organizer.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
A charitable organization that I belong to is wanting to start an annual contest in our area. We are doing a small rib and chicken backyard event this year and are looking to be a full sanctioned event in 1214. We know that you don’t make much if any off of the BBQ contest it's self but we have an inside on a BIG name to do a concert on Saturday night. The organization that I belong to has myself and members of 2 other cook teams so we know what will attract teams, large prize purse, and amenities and such.

I was just wanting to know what it takes (other than the application) to get sanctioned and what would draw you in as a team?

Thanks in advance
Mike I think you're biggest issue is going to be date conflicts, as you know there are tons of events in our region. Are you talking St. Mary's? With 15k in prizes you won't have any trouble getting teams. Let me know if we can help.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Mike I think you're biggest issue is going to be date conflicts, as you know there are tons of events in our region. Are you talking St. Mary's? With 15k in prizes you won't have any trouble getting teams. Let me know if we can help.
I will be at the MABA banquet I would love to talk to about this and what we can do to get MABA involved as well. It is going to be at the St Marys fairgrounds and looking at the 2013 KCBS event calander we are looking at the first weekend of August not much in our area at that time.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
stan
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey check out CompBBQ.com! We help new organizers and experienced organizers with their contests and most of the administrative work with a contest.
County Line Smokers Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Member - CBJ #20654
Pitmaker BBQ Vault mounted in a 12 Foot Competition Trailer
22 1/2 Weber Kettle, Stainless Steel gaser
chunks of wild cherry, pecan, oak
stan is offline   Reply With Quote