• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's a good white wine?

Target. California Roots. $5. Or the old stand by Two Buck Chuck. Although it may be up to 4 or 5 bucks by now. Trader Joe's Charles Shaw. It actually is pretty good.

Not all good wine is expensive , and not all expensive wine is good ! I like Sutter Home , a nice vin rose' is my favorite

I normally drink big reds from across the globe this time of year, but when it comes to whites for sipping...

1) NZ Sauvignon Blanc (Kim Crawford)

2) Argentinian Torrontes (Alamos is approachable)

Dry, but not too dry with enough character to be interesting. I hate semi-sweet white wines.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and feel free to keep them coming. I have no interest in becoming a connoisseur or spending too much on a particular label.

I guess my tastes run to the semi sweet and will give some of your suggestions a try. Have been to a few local wineries over the years and have always had a great time sampling, chatting and taking in the view.

I've tried red wine over the years and find it too acid for my system so will probably stick to white or blushes.

I don't really drink whites, but I have it on good authority that pinot grigio drinkers would probably enjoy unoaked Chardonnay. Might like "regular" Chardonnay too, but the unoaked is more similar

Isn't white wine for cooking? People drink that stuff? :heh:

I have been a beer drinker most of my adult life, but over the last few years it has caused tummy aches and such during the middle of the night. I finally decided it wasn't worth it so I started trying other adult beverages while celebrating with family and friends.

For now I think I have decided on white wine as my social drink of choice. So far I have no ill affects and find I enjoy the flavor of Pinot Grigios, in particular this one:

ESXPfUZl.png

Do any of you experts have suggestions on any other white vino I might enjoy. Thanks and I raise my glass to you this holiday season!

Long ways from a wine expert/connoisseur, but hey I've set around some campfires and tried a few white wines.

For a pinot grigio you need to try Bella Sera, about 13-15 bucks for a 1.75 liter bottle.

You may like a chardonnay, I'd recommend trying any SE Australia chardonnay. Maybe a Jacob's Creek or Black Swan.

I really don't like the "buttery" chardonnay, give me the ones that have a crisp fruit/pear taste with a little oak finish.

One word of advice, make sure you drink water along, if you start over indulging in whites....you'll think me for that advice.

My wife loves Barefoot brand Moscato, not as sweet as a Riesling not as dry as a Chardonnay. As for me, I just can’t get into wine I’ve tried many and I’m just not a fan

If your tastes run toward sweeter I'd echo Moscato, if a tad drier then Gewurztraminer and Reislings. A good Moscato is like a bite of a fresh peach. A good Gewurz like grapefruit. Reisling is a goes-with-everything wine.

BUT... if this is happening regularly you really need to see a doctor to rule out medical causes like ulcers, etc. The additional acid in wine will not be your friend.

If you are in to Pinot Grigio's, Try Santa Margherita. My wife really likes it. She has tried many Pinot Grigios, and always comes back to this one. Try to find a 2017. Older white wines do not hold up well. Not sure about you budget, This one runs about $17 a bottle.

I'm a big fan of boxed wines. I like having it around to cook with, but don't drink much, so I hate opening a bottle, and a having to throw it out. Black Box does have some descent wines.

As Justin Wilson used to say: "Never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink".

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I also don't tend to Moscato like your wife, but I really like a good Chardonnay! In general, I am a supporter of buying a bottle of Malbec and drinking it with fruit. My wife also likes this activity, so we always have a bottle of red wine on the table for dinner on weekends.

Try two buck Chuck at Trader Joe's, although it's probably not two bucks anymore. Also the Target house brand is pretty good. California Roots $5 a bottle.

Head out to Hermann and check out the wines there. I've not had them, but my BIL was city manager there for a couple years.

I really like sauvignon blancs, especially inexpensive French ones. Not a huge fan of chardonnays which my wife loves.

Also, if you like pinot grigio you might enjoy roses - again the inexpensive French ones are best IMO.

Back