Thermapen or Thermapop?

but the big deal is employees break or lose things like no tomorrow.
uh, 'lose', in the restaurant biz is called 'stealing'.

I've got the pop and I think its a little slow at times, maybe that's just me.

Got both and just got the Therapen MK4. Super nice. The Wife uses the Pop and it's nice too. I think they are so fast because they are both LSU Purple. They are the fastest!

The pen is better but the Pop is good too.

I got the Pop when it was on sale, as even the sale price of the Pen was still a bit too much for me. I'm not disappointed at all. The Pop still reads very quickly.

I have both and bought a few pops as gifts. I do like the mk4 quite a bit. Has some neat features over the pop. But I can't see that it reads that much faster than the pop. Maybe a frogs hair faster but can't go wrong either way

I have the precursor to the Pop and it's fine for my needs. Where the Thermapen is superior is when you have a lot of meat to temp quickly-for example, a lot of chicken pieces-when time becomes an issue.

Thermapens are cool, though. I just cant get myself to get one, maybe after the other one dies.

The way I see it is that the Thermapen is a Ferrari while the Thermopop is a Mustang. I can't justify buying one Thermapen for about what 3 Thermopops or so would cost. My pops are all fast enough for me. They have backlights and the orientation of the readout can be changed. In short, they do everything I need/want them to do at a price point that I'm more than comfortable with.

That said, other people's budgets, priorities, needs, etc are different from mine.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Had my Thermapen for over a decade and it has worked flawless, only changed the battery once.

I've had the standard model for over 8 years as well, using in constantly, never having an issue.

Two years ago I added the MK4 to my tools because of the back-lit, rotating display for overnight cooks.

More importantly to me, the folding Theramapen is easier to transport when traveling, or for use in the classroom when teaching the culinary students. Able to read the display at sharp or even obtuse angles with no difficulty. We all have different needs and different applications.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Just throwing out another alternative. Look at the Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo.

Another member of the Brethren suggested this a while back. I bought one, love it, and haven't looked back. It does everything that the Thermapen does and is half the price.

Javelin PRO Duo

Back