Best Way For A Prime Rib

Mike Twangzer

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have done prime rib roasts in the oven by initially turing the oven up to 425 for about a half hour to sear the outside then turning down to 325 for the remainder of the cook. Always comes out perfect.

Now reading the forum ... pellet grills .... Start out lower THEN turning up to 425 to sear the outside.

Does it make a difference which way ? thx

The few times I have cooked prime rib on my UDS i cooked around 250 till 125 or so. Removed from the drum, cranked the heat up and put it back on for a quick sear.

Came out great.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Pellet grills tend to impart more smoke flavor at lower temps. So if you want more smoke flavor then yes start low and finish high.

thx all ... Seems like a reverse type sear is in order .... fairly low ..... then shabamb !!!!

thx all ... Seems like a reverse type sear is in order .... fairly low ..... then shabamb !!!!

Mikem, the biggest decision is how you want the inside of the PR to look. There is no wrong answer to this as it's personal preference.

Do you want the "bullseye effect" where the outer edges of each slice is done more than the inner portion ?

martha-cooking-school-perfect-roast-prime-rib-roast_horiz.jpg

If so, cook at a chamber temp of 300 or more. Yo ucan sear first at high temp then turn down, or do a reverse sear at the end.

If you want a consistent edge to edge color, like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Keep chamber temp below 250ish, the lower the better. Pull, let it sit for a bit to vent off heat, finish with a high heat reverse sear.

I like reverse sear - low and slow to about 115, rest loosely tented in foil for about 15 minutes, then over some screaming hot coals for a minute and change a side for some color and finishing.

End to end perfection.

m2xvEAKh.jpg

Sous vide and then high heat sear.

Love my smokers, but I personally enjoy the above technique the most for this particular cut of meat.

I'm all for the 200 degree until IT reaches 117 - then over blazing hot fire on all sides.
Smoking Piney's is perfect.

Lots of great advice!

When we made them in our restaurant the roast was prepped with a heavy coating of a typical rub. Put into a shallow pan and then into our slow holding cab at 200+ for a long time. No bark but really tasty, it was melt in your mouth tender and very juicy. I can only imagine a sear at the end would be that much better!

Great timing. pulled a 3 bone SRF Rib Eye roast from the freezer today.

Thinking roto on the Weber tomorrow.

Let us know how you go with it Mike.

What's your time and temp?

In order to keep my crew happy I will probably go 137 (medium rare ++) for 10-12 hours. I'll sear it off in a 500 degree oven with a compound butter mixture for 15 mins or so to form the crust.

Back