How would you cook it?

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Son brought home some very expensive steaks from our local high end butcher for a Father’s Day present.

48 day dry aged, 2” thick porterhouse steaks...

He probably dropped way too much money on these things, but they are gorgeous.

How best to respect these?

Cast iron pan?
Vortex?
Dry brine?

What say you?

I'd go simple too, let the beef shine. Salt, pepper, shot of smoke then sear over a hot flame.

I also agree with the statement above. Salt and pepper. Don't mask the flavor and aroma of a nice dry aged steak.

What a thoughtful and nice gift to receive. It sounds like you raised a keeper. Happy Father's Day.

Boil, then broil. :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, dry aged meat like that doesn't need anything fancy. Seasoning of your choice, indirect cook on a charcoal grill using a wood chunk or two of your choice for smoke flavor, then finish off with a hot sear. At least that's what I'd do...

Keep us posted!

Wow!

I'll join the Q-Salt, Vortex, reverse sear band wagon.

If you're feeling froggy, I also like (and have used) the cast iron with brown butter, garlic, and fresh sage option.... a bit more involved.

Enjoy! Happy Fathers Day!

Well a porterhouse is roughly 40% fillet (tenderloin) and 60% loin. A 40+ day dry aged steak needs only enough seasoning to accent the slightly stronger beefy flavor you should get. And since dry aging removes moisture you need to be careful when cooking it.... not too hot, and not too long.

I would agree with the reverse sear, and to me that means starting with lump charcoal, a pit temp of 250°, and sneaking the internal up to 100°, then removing it and resting it at least 10 or 15 minutes. Meanwhile, ramp up the pit to 300°+ and take it slightly below your normal target temp.

Now..., I hand-cut all my fillets and for finishing them I use a cast iron skillet or griddle. Then serve with an option of using compound butter or clarified butter, meaning on the side like you would have with lobster. So, because slightly less than half of a porterhouse is the fillet muscle I would cater to that and let the loin muscle fall into place. Since the steak is so thick I might be temped to render some beef fat and mix it with butter for oiling the griddle. Here is the look I get on a fillet finished on cast iron.

V0RBzXT.jpg

One other thing came to mind because you mentioned steaks, as in more than one. Something like this is a delicacy for sure, so can you arrange to cook them for two meals, just in case your first technique falls short of your exceptions.... OR can you stage your meal over several hours so you can cook one steak and start eating before cooking the next one(s)? They have to be at least a couple of pounds, so it could be rested, sliced, and served right on the cutting board at the table.

Back