MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #301
GatorBeerGeek
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Has anyone mod the exhaust stack yet? I’m not liking the cap on the stack where it brings the smoke down to the top of the unit, leaves a wet footprint, and then become nose level and drifts everywhere. The trees around my house blocks most of the breeze so I can’t count on it to help dissipate the smoke.
You almost had me hopping in the car to drive to Lawrenceville for a long "lunch" break until I noticed when this thread was originally posted. I assume that is a display model they wouldn't even be able to find from back when this was originally posted. I wish I was on the forum back then.
GatorBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #302
sewerrat
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Has anyone mod the exhaust stack yet? I’m not liking the cap on the stack where it brings the smoke down to the top of the unit, leaves a wet footprint, and then become nose level and drifts everywhere. The trees around my house blocks most of the breeze so I can’t count on it to help dissipate the smoke.
Did you know the cap is adjustable?? I leave mine basically wide open and the smoke gets nowhere near the top of the unit.
sewerrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #303
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
I don't use water so I don't have that issue but I use a small fan to blow the exhaust sideways on any cooker I use under a roof.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #304
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Did you know the cap is adjustable?? I leave mine basically wide open and the smoke gets nowhere near the top of the unit.

Wait. But smoke has to get out somewhere....?

Old 06-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #305
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
He meant it doesn't come out the stack and down on top of the cooker. It just comes out and sideways.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 09:43 PM   #306
sewerrat
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Yep . . Out the stack and below the cap

Old 06-18-2019, 12:12 AM   #307
TheBBQJew

Name/Nickname : BBQ Jew

I got caught in the rain smoking a brisket one day with this POS. Rain water gets into the pellet hopper and that’s all a she wrote. Poorly designed. Auger will freeze. 2nd time using it. Took it apart and still couldn’t get the auger unfrozen. Don’t waste your money. Water will get in and this will happen!
TheBBQJew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019, 12:18 AM   #308
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBBQJew View Post
I got caught in the rain smoking a brisket one day with this POS. Rain water gets into the pellet hopper and that’s all a she wrote. Poorly designed. Auger will freeze. 2nd time using it. Took it apart and still couldn’t get the auger unfrozen. Don’t waste your money. Water will get in and this will happen!
Well I would say that using any pellet cooker uncovered in the rain is a bad idea since everyone knows that wet pellets cause problems. Using any electronic powered device uncovered in the rain sounds like a poor thought out plan. What did you expect to happen? Operator error is undoubtedly the main issue here.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019, 12:19 AM   #309
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Odd. I've used mine during many rains, and never had an issue. We installed a covered pergola, and the back of the smoker is actually exposed to the rain, still nothing. I leave pellets in it at all times, and have never had a problem with water getting into it.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #310
sewerrat
Full Fledged Farker

Walmart is at it again.
After checking Brickseek, one of my local Walmarts was clearing out their grills.
They had 2 copperhead 5 series for $109. I hemmed and hawed and while doing so, 2 employees bought them.
They had 2 Austin XL's for $199

I ending up buying the Pit Boss Whiskey Still smoker for $75. Reviews aren't that good, mainly because of capacity. This is for my lake house, so the mainly small cooks. Should suit me just fine.
After thinking it through, I think the 5 series would be too big for my needs up there. I have one at home and seldom load it down.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #311
GatorBeerGeek

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Walmart is at it again.
After checking Brickseek, one of my local Walmarts was clearing out their grills.
They had 2 copperhead 5 series for $109. I hemmed and hawed and while doing so, 2 employees bought them.
They had 2 Austin XL's for $199

I ending up buying the Pit Boss Whiskey Still smoker for $75. Reviews aren't that good, mainly because of capacity. This is for my lake house, so the mainly small cooks. Should suit me just fine.
After thinking it through, I think the 5 series would be too big for my needs up there. I have one at home and seldom load it down.
To help others search that read this:
Whiskey Still: https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=578111017
5 series vertical: https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=876324460
Austin XL: https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=793230399
GatorBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #312
sewerrat
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBeerGeek View Post
Thanks. They had the Oklahoma Joe Drum smoker for $175 too
https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=475458441

Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #313
TheBBQJew

Name/Nickname : BBQ Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
Well I would say that using any pellet cooker uncovered in the rain is a bad idea since everyone knows that wet pellets cause problems. Using any electronic powered device uncovered in the rain sounds like a poor thought out plan. What did you expect to happen? Operator error is undoubtedly the main issue here.
A well designed pellet hopper will obviously protect the pellets from rain. Like my Traeger or Camp Chef or just about any other pellet grill does. Not so with this Pit Boss model. I thought it might also be obvious that a grill smoker is an outdoor appliance and should be built for such use. Forseeing a rain shower 8 hours in advance on a 10 hr cook is not realistic. No problems with my other pellet smokers getting wet. Undoubtedly you have no idea what you’re talking about!
TheBBQJew is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #314
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBBQJew View Post
A well designed pellet hopper will obviously protect the pellets from rain. Like my Traeger or Camp Chef or just about any other pellet grill does. Not so with this Pit Boss model. I thought it might also be obvious that a grill smoker is an outdoor appliance and should be built for such use. Forseeing a rain shower 8 hours in advance on a 10 hr cook is not realistic. No problems with my other pellet smokers getting wet. Undoubtedly you have no idea what you’re talking about!
You are correct I don't have any experience using this smoker in the rain so I shouldn't comment on that. I have used the smoker while it was raining. Had it on a covered porch and I didn't have any problems. I still don't understand why anyone would want to use an electric powered smoker in the rain though. Even if you don't foresee a rain shower 8 hours in advance you can plan ahead in case one comes.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #315
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post

You’re completely wrong in your assessment of pellet grills and some electronics. I can cook all day in the rain on my MAK with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk