Frozen food find question

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
When moving, I found 2 pounds ground venison. It's not vacu-sealed. It's in a wild game package. It's about 2 years old. Is it usable? Was planning on some chili. Or should I just throw it?

Ty

thillin said:
When moving, I found 2 pounds ground venison. It's not vacu-sealed. It's in a wild game package. It's about 2 years old. Is it usable? Was planning on some chili. Or should I just throw it?

Ty

Ty-it depends. I would open it and see if it has a lot of freezer burn. Has it been in a deep-freeze? If so, and it is not too freezer burned, it should work fine in chili. Time in deep freeze usually only affects quality of meat, not safty. Cooked thoroughly in chile, it will be safe. Question is flavor. If it is severly freezer burned, I would throw it away. The drying process of freezer burn does affect flavor.

Is it in a plastic bag? If so and has been in the deep freeze, you're probably ok!

It's been in the back of the side by side freezer. I'll open later to check for freezer burn.

Here it is unwrapped. It frosted up by time I got the camera out. Doesn't really seam freezer burnt. It has darkened. I'll se what it's like in the morning.

Attachments

• ground venison.jpg
    ground venison.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 86
Looks good to me. Give it the old whiff test when it thaws, maybe pinch of a small piece and fry it in a small pan and taste it. It should be safe, just a question of whether it tastes good enough to contribute to your chili.

qman said:
Looks good to me. Give it the old whiff test when it thaws, maybe pinch of a small piece and fry it in a small pan and taste it. It should be safe, just a question of whether it tastes good enough to contribute to your chili.
I found this in the back of my freezer and gave it the old whiff test and I think it's bad what do y'all think:eek:

I think I'm up way too late!!!!

Attachments

• iceman.jpeg
    iceman.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 79
thillin said:
Here it is unwrapped. It frosted up by time I got the camera out. Doesn't really seam freezer burnt. It has darkened. I'll se what it's like in the morning.

That doesn't look bad to me. I figured it was going to look worse.

thillin said:

Six months is a good deteriminator. Cryovac lasts longer. Seems iffy to me... as in if in doubt throw it it out! Just my opinion. Lots of deer here. want some?

Yours in BBQ,

Clifff

Ty,
COOK IT ....

That package looks real good to me.
You should brown the meat anyway before mixing the chili
stuff with it and if it smells like the inside of a freezer... CHIT..
then you can dump it.
My guess is that it is fine.

Mark

tumpedover said:
I found this in the back of my freezer and gave it the old whiff test and I think it's bad what do y'all think:eek:

I told you to cook that before you left Beaumont and if you didn't you would forget about him.... but nooooooo, you wanted to haul him ALL the way to Ga....... lol

Hey, tumped, I think your find not only failed the whiff test but probably fails the visual presentation test as well. Maybe some romaine leaves or parsley?:twisted:

qman said:
Hey, tumped, I think your find not only failed the whiff test but probably fails the visual presentation test as well. Maybe some romaine leaves or parsley?:twisted:

And sauce it!

I would use it. I have had things in my freezer for that long myself. I don't think it could kill ya, just taste bad possibly. But using it for chili, perhaps it will lend to your secret recipe.

tumpedover said:

Who knew you could make jerky in the freezer.

Puppyboy said:
Who knew you could make jerky in the freezer.

I was thinkin' of shredding and putting into beans.....
MMMMmmmmmmMMMMMMM:icon_smil

The chili came out good. I used a chili kit from a TX company. I had to add a little extra spices at the end. It came out really well. I put a full write up on my blog.

thillin said:
The chili came out good. I used a chili kit from a TX company. I had to add a little extra spices at the end. It came out really well. I put a full write up on my blog.

I enjoyed your BLOG!

And notice no beans were harmed in this recipe! :biggrin:

Back