If I wore a younger man’s clothes

I'm in the market for a Santa Maria but if I bought this one I'd only be able to warm up cans of beans on it! It's pretty and they sure are proud of it. Think I'll just keep LSG on my radar.

Wife and I were discussing last night between episodes of House the meals we used to cook on our grocery story Hibachi. Porterhouse (singular-2 not in budget)seasoned with lemon pepper. Loaded baked potatoes. Real sweet tea (where you mix sugar into tea while it’s hot)with a lemon slice. Extra ash tray money buy some tiger shrimp and season the same.
Good times

I love the angle iron V bars for the grate (as opposed to expanded metal). That's a really nice touch.

Starting at $5500? Not on my allowance. :biggrin1:

Don’t you think it will take away from the aroma of the juices hitting the fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hasty Bake has a portable competition steak cooker out. It’s really nice too

Don’t you think it will take away from the aroma of the juices hitting the fire?

I don't think so. First, there are gaps between them so when it's really low to the coals (or the wood is burning) it will still be "flame kissed." But when it's moderately raised over a screaming hot fire those V bars would probably act like grill grates or "flavorizer bars." Just my $.02

I don't think so. First, there are gaps between them so when it's really low to the coals (or the wood is burning) it will still be "flame kissed." But when it's moderately raised over a screaming hot fire those V bars would probably act like grill grates or "flavorizer bars." Just my $.02

I can confirm what Mike is suggesting. The v-grates still allow for the flames to kiss the food while helping to control flare-ups and you can use the captured juices in the drip tray to baste your food if you choose. The grates hold heat well so it also great for cooking over embers. No loss of flavor in my opinion.

Attachments

• 903E4BF0-B457-4B92-85B5-EF5D90AFBDE8.jpg
    903E4BF0-B457-4B92-85B5-EF5D90AFBDE8.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 180
I can confirm what Mike is suggesting. The v-grates still allow for the flames to kiss the food while helping to control flare-ups and you can use the captured juices in the drip tray to baste your food if you choose. The grates hold heat well so it also great for cooking over embers. No loss of flavor in my opinion.

Greg,

What kind/brand of cooker is that?

Old Pioneer BBQ in Buelton, CA. I attached the link below, but it did not work for me. I’ve been very happy with mine.

Dennis, the owner/fabricator does custom work too and was easy to work with too, just in case you’re thinking of buying. :-D

http://www.oldpioneerbbqs.com/default.html

Attachments

• 60F4D510-0793-4052-8899-1691D80232F5.jpg
    60F4D510-0793-4052-8899-1691D80232F5.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 10E67A7B-749F-4CBE-9DDB-1E8802608987.jpg
    10E67A7B-749F-4CBE-9DDB-1E8802608987.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 171

This is the first “non advertisement” picture I have ever seen of a steak cooked on v grates that had even browing. Every and i mean every pic and bid i find shows horribly wide brown stripes where the grate was shielding the meat.

This has thrown off my santa maria search quite a but as i have been avoiding v grates for that reason.

That cook looks great. (Pun intended). Assuming there was a lot of moving around to get that even char.

Old Pioneer BBQ in Buelton, CA. I attached the link below, but it did not work for me. I’ve been very happy with mine.

Dennis, the owner/fabricator does custom work too and was easy to work with too, just in case you’re thinking of buying. :-D

http://www.oldpioneerbbqs.com/default.html

Greg,

The website doesn't work anymore so might need to give them a call. Funny, I used to live not far from there back in the day. I might be in the market for a Santa Maria/Argentine grill down the road. I'd definitely give him a call.

Check out this one Dennis did. Holy Guacamole!

https://youtu.be/VT2D88K9uGQ

Greg,

The website doesn't work anymore so might need to give them a call. Funny, I used to live not far from there back in the day. I might be in the market for a Santa Maria/Argentine grill down the road. I'd definitely give him a call.

That is cool how he painted that to match his nail polish!

This is the first “non advertisement” picture I have ever seen of a steak cooked on v grates that had even browing. Every and i mean every pic and bid i find shows horribly wide brown stripes where the grate was shielding the meat.

This has thrown off my santa maria search quite a but as i have been avoiding v grates for that reason.

That cook looks great. (Pun intended). Assuming there was a lot of moving around to get that even char.

Thanks, and yes I am very actively flipping, turning, “scruffing” the meat and raising/lowering grates to achieve an even Malliard reaction across the entire surface. It took me a little while to become accustomed to the v-grates and did not use them much the first year I had them. They mostly stay on the grill now. Striping was an issue initially until I figured it out.

Greg,

That is a beauty. If you decide to purchase from Old Pioneer you can contact me, I can give you a few lessons learned from my purchase. You are also welcome to check mine out since you are a neighbor and a Brethren!

Greg,

Hi Mike, that’s a cool rig! If you decide to buy from Old Pioneer, give me a shout and I can share some lessons learned from my purchase. You are also welcome check mine out since you are a neighbor and a Brethren!

Back