MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #1
kynmo2010
On the road to being a farker

Default Competition Side Ideas

My buddy and I are entering our first real BBQ competition later this month. We have done rib and wing cook-offs and some charity events, but never anything close to a real competition. One of the categories is a Side. Looking for sides teams have done in the past and possibly some pics of presentation boxes. Thanks!
kynmo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

What are the rules? Can you use anything for presentation, or does it have to fit in a standard box?

Beans are always a good choice.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
kynmo2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
What are the rules? Can you use anything for presentation, or does it have to fit in a standard box?

Beans are always a good choice.
I haven't received the packet with rules yet. Right now I am assuming it has to fit into a standard box. If something like beans or mac and cheese are used, do you put each portion in a small plastic container, lid on or off for presentation? Would you still put normal garnish in bottom of the box for containers to sit in?

Old 09-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynmo2010 View Post
I haven't received the packet with rules yet. Right now I am assuming it has to fit into a standard box. If something like beans or mac and cheese are used, do you put each portion in a small plastic container, lid on or off for presentation? Would you still put normal garnish in bottom of the box for containers to sit in?
That depends on the rules. We took first place in beans a while back by using small, plastic bean pots (I think we found them at the dollar store) and a bed of dried beans (bean soup mix from a bag) to hold them in place, but in that case it was open presentation as long as it fit in the box. We also did well using medium sized potatoes, baked and hollowed out as bowls, and that one was on a bed of parsley.

Sorry for no pics. These were long enough ago that I can't find them

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
GA1dad
Full Fledged Farker

I did brisket/bacon/onion deviled eggs one year that were well received. This was for SCBA

Last edited by GA1dad; 06-19-2021 at 06:31 PM..
GA1dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
kynmo2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That depends on the rules. We took first place in beans a while back by using small, plastic bean pots (I think we found them at the dollar store) and a bed of dried beans (bean soup mix from a bag) to hold them in place, but in that case it was open presentation as long as it fit in the box. We also did well using medium sized potatoes, baked and hollowed out as bowls, and that one was on a bed of parsley.

Sorry for no pics. These were long enough ago that I can't find them
Thanks! They told me today they were using KCBA rules. With the potatoes, did you serve beans in them, or fluff up the potatoes and put back in the potato skin? Also, with anything like beans or mac and cheese, do we need to put little spoons in the box, or will the judge have them?

Old 09-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
kynmo2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1dad View Post
I did brisket/bacon/onion deviled eggs one year that were well received. This was for SCBA
That looks awesome! Did you smoke your eggs? If so, did you boil them first, remove the shell and then smoke them?

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
GA1dad
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynmo2010 View Post
That looks awesome! Did you smoke your eggs? If so, did you boil them first, remove the shell and then smoke them?
I did not smoke them.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I second it - Those eggs look great!

Thanks from:--->