Wild Boar Ham

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
folk...

Friends got a whole ham from a wild boar he shot last week. I talked him into buying a WSM and all the side equipment and I'm walking him thru the cook this weekend. Amazon is delivering the pit, chimney and thermos tomorrow and hes got bags of hickory and cherry waiting. i searched already, found a few answers to inject with AJ, or soak in cranberry, but nothing of anything out of the norm. Figured I'll try again for newer answers.

I never cooked wild boar before.. anything I need to know, or just pretend its a big pork butt.? Gonna inject with AJ and make up a simple rub. Whats best temps to cook to? Since its wild, i expect it to be leaner so going to high can dry it out. I'm thinking 160-165, foil tight and let it rest, then slice it.

Wild pork is usually very lean. The window between done and dry is very small. In the L. L. Bean Game and Fish Cookbook by Angus Cameron it is suggested to do "Larding" on a wild ham. This involves sticking a thin sharp knife like a filet knife into the ham and stuffing salt pork or bacon into the cavity. I have tried both--the bacon was awesome---the salt pork was too salty. I once injected with "cajun butter" but I didn't care for the flavor. Apple juice or Pineappe or soy sauce would seem to add moisture--but I have never tried it. Angus Cameron says that "Larding" bastes the ham from within. There is actually a tool made for larding wild game. Good luck

Well, I do envy your opportunity to treat a truly fantastic peice of meat. Let us all know how it goes...

I've done it twice and both times it was fantastic. You my friend ,if done right are in for a treat. Very sweet meat. Absolutely do not over cook it though. I just dry rubbed and smoked it brought it to 155 and foiled. Finished temp was 163. Sliced and enjoyed.

I have had a lot of experience harvesting, butchering, and preparing feral hog meat. The meat from a sow, regardless of size, is exceptional. The last two I cleaned were 150 pound sows, and they had a layer of fat that was over 2 inches thick that had come from loading up on pecans and acorns. Feral hog meat is generally leaner, but for the most part you can prepare it as you would any pork. It is just better flavored than any pork you can buy.

Feral hog boars are a different matter. Almost without exception the meat can be so musky that I consider it to be borderline inedible. If the ham you are dealing with has a very musky smell, there is very littlle you can do to improve it.

Good luck with your cooking.

Back