Mesquite lump

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok i just accumulated 50 pounds of mesquite lump. Im talkin good sized pieces. Average size is 7 inches in length and bout 2.5 inch to 3 inch diameter.

My only problem is i have heard mesquite makes food taste like cat piss. I am wondering if i should mix part mesquite and part Royal oak lump or will having hickory, oak and mesquite woods all mixed together make a funky taste?

Thanx guys

I have never heard or experienced that with mesquite. I have never used lump either, just good cured wood. Good luck.

I would experiment with the lump and mesquite.
add a little mesquite and more if you like the flavor.
you could use the mesquite and oak together also.
when i have hickory i mix it with ash or oak.
i think mesquite by itself would be strong.
jon

I used to use only Mesquite lump but switched to Royal Oak lump. I thought it was o.k. on most things but thought it was too strong on my chicken.

I may end up going back to it though because the price of Royal went up and the bag got smaller.

Who tasted Cat Piss to be able to tell you that? Mesquite can be strong but you need to try it and find the mix you like. Blue not white smoke will make the difference.
I know it smells like it at times. Some hillbilly dude told me. I just dont want to waste it. So if i mixed it with Royal oak, i hope it doesnt taste funky. I pay 6.37 for 10lb bag of RO here. However i have walmart price match to 4.87 that some people pay at other stores.

$6.37 at Walmart here, last year $5.87. I use it in the EGG so it lasts a long time. If you can try some Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, do. I really like the smell it puts out.

Well im gonna try it with a stuffed pork roast. I will grill on high heat to sear in flava and then cook indirectly till done. So hopefully it wont overpower it with mesquite.

For what it's worth...I've always heard that mesquite is a better wood to grill (hot) with, as opposed to smoke with. In other words, due to its ability to burn hot (and cheap abundance in some places like Texas), it is more used as a source of fuel and grilling things like steaks.

I would recommend that you not smoke with any wood that the cat has urinated on. (no cat piss mod). For that matter, I would not smoke with wood that anyone has urinated on.

Hmm. well i guess ill be using it to grill my burgers im makin with the new meat grinder next week..

I would actually say, trying to be helpful now, you might want to wait and hear from the Texas type folks around here, I know there are at least a couple that have said mesquite is their wood of choice.

DSC02824a.jpg

I really like mesquite lump. I just lost my source of it last year. Since it's processed it's not strong like using mesquite wood. It is stronger than most lumps and I used it on most of my longer cooks.

I often mixed in some Royal Oak, but only because the mesquite had so many large pieces. It burns hotter, and is sparky when lighting.​

DSC02824a.jpg

I really like mesquite lump. I just lost my source of it last year. Since it's processed it's not strong like using mesquite wood. It is stronger than most lumps and I used it on most of my longer cooks.

I often mixed in some Royal Oak, but only because the mesquite had so many large pieces. It burns hotter, and is sparky when lighting.​
Thats exactly what mine looks like. i get it locally here at standard wood. 20 bucks for 50 pounds. So im good to mix it with RO and not have a funky flava.. good to know

We can get 40lb bags of Lazarri Mesquite lump charcoal for $14, the only problem is if you plan to use it you gotta break it up to a manageable size.

100_2623.jpg

These were just average sized chunks, but I've had some bag sized logs that really were a headache to deal with if I wanted to use it in the Egg, kettle or drum, and you end up with over 10lbs of duff you can't use!

Other than the hassle of breaking up and sorting, it works fine and gives off one hell of a fireworks show!

100_2626.jpg

100_2628.jpg

Lowes carried Best of the West Mesquite lump in 9lb bags for $6 a couple years ago, and most of what I bought needed to be broken down and I had a lot that wasn't fully carbonized and gave off a yellowish smoke when firing it up.
That may have been the funky cat piss smell people warned you about.
100_2629.jpg

Thanx Swamp. good to know. Thanx for the pics to. I cant wait to use it with my RO

I'm not overly familiar with lump of any kind. The first time I used it about 2 years ago I smoked a 2 hour brisket flat.:icon_blush: Lump burns hotter that K I think/know now.
But I can tell you that mesquite smoked beef can be some of the best ya ever tried.

I use chigger creek lump charcoal out of Sedailia, Mo. If you buy it in bulk you can get it for like $11 for 40 lbs. The charcoal comes ready to cook in any grill or smoker. The pics of breaking it up and sorting it looks like a lot of work! www.chiggercreek.com

Thanx guys for the info. I have been wanting to use real hardwood for my fuel to cook with so when i heard bout Royal Oak i was kinda excited. Now i dont have to wait for the logs to burn down to embers.. haha

Back