Need Chicken Help

daedalus

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I plan to smoke some fresh, skin-on chicken thighs tomorrow, and have spent the morning contemplating marinades. Usually I just soak them overnight in some Italian dressing, but I think I would like to try something different this time.

What do you all think about brining chickens? Do any of you normally brine your thighs? If so, what proportions of salt to water do you like?

Alternately, can anyone recommend/link to/advise about home-made marinades you have found that work well?

I look forward to any help anyone can offer.
Thanks in advance!

Great brining article on the virtual weber bullet website. Should answer a lot of your questions.

Paul

I plan to smoke some fresh, skin-on chicken thighs tomorrow, and have spent the morning contemplating marinades. Usually I just soak them overnight in some Italian dressing, but I think I would like to try something different this time.

What do you all think about brining chickens? Do any of you normally brine your thighs? If so, what proportions of salt to water do you like?

Alternately, can anyone recommend/link to/advise about home-made marinades you have found that work well?

I look forward to any help anyone can offer.
Thanks in advance!

never brined one.

gosh there's all kinds of stuff you can put on chicken thighs that's good. Anything with an acid (any kind of vinegar, lemon juice, orange juice, or yellow mustard), add little sweet (ORANGE juice, honey, brown sugar, maple suryp), and spices (take your pick!). I too sometimes use Italian Dressing. :wink:

I have had the best luck adding rub (spices mostly, no salt or sugar) - rubbing in good all over, then brush a layer of whatever marinade you use, then wrap in serran wrap 8+ hours or overnight. Then when you take it out of fridge to get to room temp brush on another thin layer of marinade and a dusting of the rub. It's always worked well for me - and seemed to produce a happy medium between a rub and a marinade for chicken.

Great brining article on the virtual weber bullet website. Should answer a lot of your questions.

Paul

TVWB has a turbo brine that's highly recommended by Bob S. He may chime in a little later to post a comment.

If you are looking to save time on brining, search TVWB for Keri's Turbo Chicken. I've done it a few times and it comes out great. I can't tell the difference from a long soak. Throw on some Plowboy's Yardbird Rub and get it in you cooker! :biggrin:

That being said, thighs are quite resistant to drying out. So if you don't overcook them they are fine without brining.

When I brine for oven roasted chicken I use a 50/50 salt sugar ratio.

I never brine. Marinate only. Personally, I think the amount of water used in brining just draws out the meat juices and makes for a less flavorful finished product.

Making your own marinades is easy. Just use your favorite herbs and spices. Fresh herbs are great, but dried works too. Chop or grind the seasonings, mix well with the meat, throw everything into a plastic bag, refrigerate several hours (or days). Longer for more flavor and/or more tenderizing. Same can be done with your favorite dry rub.

Let us know how it works out and remember to post pictures!

Ever tried Mojo?

moj03959l.jpg

I personally don't brine or marinate. Just trim, dust with rub, smoke, glaze, eat!

If you are brining thighs, mix 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 gallon of water for about 1 hour. You can add any other spices or even lemons, or oranges or anything like that, but do not brine too long or it will be very salty. You also need to rinse it really well after taking it out of the brine. Chicken pieces do not need long at all to brine. After brining rub with Plowboys yardbird rub and cook and you are good to go!!

Back