Brisket Question

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a brisket that just will not become tender despite how long you cook it? I ask because I cooked a brisket from Sam's (prime) for 12 hours at 280 this weekend and it just never "got there." It was injected and moist but still had that roast texture. Yes, it's done when it's done but are there times when you're just wasting time? Thanks and happy eating during isolation.

Any brisket I’ve ever cooked that didn’t come out how I liked I chalked up to operator error. Most times I can pinpoint specifically what it was.

You cook brisket until it is done no matter how long it takes. Apparently that brisket needed more that 12 hours.

Without starting a debate, what was the internal temp in the thickest part. I don’t check for probe tender until it reaches 203. Others start checking around 195ish, and others just go by feel alone. If you weren’t near those temps it’s not even close to being done.

When I was learning I cooked a few briskets that weren’t done because I got impatient and figured it has to be done after cooking this long. My wife saved them all by putting them in a pressure cooker with beef broth. Now That we make pastrami at home I’m wondering if you can finish it in a steamer. An oven would also work.

When you say it was like a roast, do you mean tough or falling apart Like a pot roast?

Tough = undercooked
Falling apart like pot roast = overcooked.

I've had some briskets that seemed to NEVER get tender, but that was a long time ago when I was still learning the "brisket basics." Since I've gotten the hang of "probe tender" I've never come across a brisket which "just won't get tender." I cook a few cases of briskets a week, so I've done my fair share.

280° for 12 hours seems like a super long time for any brisket (even one at 18-20Lbs). What were you using to monitor the cooking temperature? Either way you just have to keep on cooking until it's tender; that's kind of what I refer to as brisket discipline (and the same goes for pork butts)...you have to keep on cooking it until it gets tender and there's no way around it.

Is there such a thing as a brisket that just will not become tender despite how long you cook it? I ask because I cooked a brisket from Sam's (prime) for 12 hours at 280 this weekend and it just never "got there." It was injected and moist but still had that roast texture. Yes, it's done when it's done but are there times when you're just wasting time? Thanks and happy eating during isolation.

Mine did same thing Saturday. Choice brisket from Sams put on 930 am wrapped in paper at 165 had good color and bark , at 830 pm (11 hrs) it was 180 degrees 17 lbs competition trim took it too 14.5 lbs on smoker. Waited till 930 people and family gotta eat at some point so took it off only at 186 IT. Ate fine lil chewy but was good ! this was my 1st stubborn one too , cooked quite a few myself, but it happens .....

Thanks all for the feedback. Many good questions and suggestions. I'll supply some more information. I've cooked less than 20 briskets, so I am still very much int he beginning of the learning curve. I used my WSM and the temp was maintained by a GURU. I hadn't set the temp that high but the fire was running hot all night. Turns out a vent had slid open. I had a probe for food temp and wrapped after there was good bark formed, about seven hours and at 164 internal temp checked at a couple places in the flat. Wrapped in foil and lost the probe for the rest of the cook. After three more hours I began probing for tenderness. There was good improvement in tenderness until...gasp...I likely just became impatient by the sounds of things. I cut across the grain having learned that lesson the hard way in the past. The meat was not falling apart and we did enjoy it, just didn't REALLY ENJOY it like good brisket should be. Leftovers went to work where people said good things (what else will they say) and some went into chili. So, maybe the lesson was to be more patient, but I hate that lesson.

By the way, the feedback I get here has always been helpful and I'd like to think has made me a better cook.

I have a 12 pound prime brisket in the Kamado since 7:00PM last night. Gonna emancipate the beast at 4:00PM today. Running a consistent 240° on coconut, Oak & hickory charcoal.

Smoking in Apitong wood..... :whoo:

(fingers crossed, but usually works out).

You can make a tender piece of meat tough, but you can't make a tough one tender.

Sometimes a piece of meat just isn't cooperative. When I use all my tricks and it's still not right, I figure it had to have been an inferior piece of meat or the animal was stressed before slaughter.

You can make a tender piece of meat tough, but you can't make a tough one tender.

Sometimes a piece of meat just isn't cooperative. When I use all my tricks and it's still not right, I figure it had to have been an inferior piece of meat or the animal was stressed before slaughter.

I like this. No more self-loathing!

All I can say is proper rest makes or breaks a brisket. Ever since I figured out my rest method, I haven't had a bad brisket.

Just kidding!

Right after I take it off the smoker, I open up the bp or foil and let it sit for about 10 mins to stop the cooking. When there is no more steam I wrap it in new foil and put it in my Cambro (or a cooler) for a minimum of 2 hours but prefer 4 hours plus.

Simple!

Just kidding!

Right after I take it off the smoker, I open up the bp or foil and let it sit for about 10 mins to stop the cooking. When there is no more steam I wrap it in new foil and put it in my Cambro (or a cooler) for a minimum of 2 hours but prefer 4 hours plus.

Simple!

Hey that’s pretty much my secret too. Except I let it sit unwrapped for a bit over 20 mins. Saw a “test” awhile back and the brisket was placed on the kitchen counter unwrapped with a temp probe in it. Didn’t stop it’s upward temp climb for close to 30 mins. I was surprised.

This is my ideal brisket and what I aim for and achieve almost regularly. Here and there I do come across a stubborn brisket (happens) but mostly this is it.

cKEp8lPh.jpg

T1GlaPrh.jpg

16gLnF1h.jpg

Hey that’s pretty much my secret too. Except I let it sit unwrapped for a bit over 20 mins. Saw a “test” awhile back and the brisket was placed on the kitchen counter unwrapped with a temp probe in it. Didn’t stop it’s upward temp climb for close to 30 mins. I was surprised.

:thumb:

True! I should say that it all depends on the weather too. If it's cold it doesn't take long but my average has been about 10-15 mins. I watch for steam to diminish and stick my tpen and monitor when the temps stop climbing and equalize. Then wrap and rest.

To me this is the most crucial part of the cook. Not a lot of people will tell you that but glad I cooked up bunch of briskets and finally figured out myself that proper rest was the only thing screwing things up for me.

Back