Bleached verses unbleached

kfdvm

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Having a hard time finding flour. Went to Sams and they had bleached all purpose flour, and bleached bread flour. Both are in 25 pound bags, both under $8.00 a bag. I bought one of each.
My question is how much difference will there be between bleached and unbleached. I have always used unbleached thinking it rose better, and was less bitter. What has been your experience?
Thanks in advance.

Bread flour has more gluten in it. I never found much difference between bleached/unbleached.

Having a hard time finding flour. Went to Sams and they had bleached all purpose flour, and bleached bread flour. Both are in 25 pound bags, both under $8.00 a bag. I bought one of each.
My question is how much difference will there be between bleached and unbleached. I have always used unbleached thinking it rose better, and was less bitter. What has been your experience?
Thanks in advance.

If you let flour sit for a while it ages naturally and turns white on it's own which is "Unbleached". Major manufacturers don't want to wait for the flour to turn white so the flour gets bleached which also removes some of the nutrients. Then they add nutrients back as "Enriched Flour".

It really depends on what you are using your flour for. Different flours are made for different reasons! :wink:

Back