MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #16
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon View Post
Kevin those steaks & burgers look great. Any secret to the crust on those burgers? & that roast looks awesome!
Oak Ridge BBQ Carne Crosta on the burgers and steak, Barbacoa is great for street tacos, enchiladas, stuffed peppers and nachos.

WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #17
tom b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon View Post
That food looks great! Any secrets to that Turkey. The skin looks nice & crispy!
Thanks, nothing special dry brine, dry in frig on a wrack at least a few hrs. rub and cook at 335* IIRC pulled at 155 IT rest and enjoy. Some time I herb/butter slather but not this time

Old 03-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #18
tom b

That food your cooking is nothing to shake a stick at Kevin

Old 03-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #19
tom b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
I am pretty plugged in with the MAK family over on their FB fan page... a great group (hint, hint).

Some of you know this, many of you may not. Last May, TomB who just posted a bunch of killer cooks in this thread drove from SoCal to NorCal to buy my 2017 MAK 2 Star as I was making room for the 2019 model (I got boss approval and moved quick... lol).

I shared this with the MAK family on May 20, 2019 and thought you guys may enjoy seeing now.

——————————————————————

Kind of a cool Monday morning story to share.

So, as some of you know, a couple of months ago I decided to order the 2019 version of the MAK 2 Star. As part of "the plan" I put my 2017 2 Star up for sale. Not being out to gouge anyone, I attracted a buyer from 9 hours away. We set a day/time... he made a hotel reservation... he and his wife drove from SoCal to NorCal on a Friday... stayed overnight... picked up the MAK early Saturday morning... spent the day putzing around in the Sacramento area... and returned home Saturday night. What some guys/gals will do for a good deal... lol.

We spent probably close to an hour chit-chatting the morning he came over to pick up his new 2 Star. During our coversation, I discovered a few things:

1) His acquisition of my MAK put him at a total of 11 backyard cookers. From a pellet grill, to a stick burner, to a Santa Maria style grill, to a you-name-it... he already had ALL of his bases covered.

2) Although he's heard plenty of positive talk regarding MAK Grills, he's never seen one, nor has he ever had food from one.

3) He is not new to pellet grills, and currently owns a Traeger Timberline 1300 which he really likes!

4) He doesn't want 2 pellet grills sitting in his backyard.

5) He told me that the only reason he had decided to make the 18ish hour roundtrip to buy the MAK was to satisfy his curiousity. His plan was to return home and begin doing a series of side-by-side comparisons... MAK 2 Star vs Traeger Timberline. The winner stays, the loser is put up for sale. His plan was to put them head-to-head over this upcoming summer and then list the loser.

At the end of our conversation, I helped him load the MAK into his truck and watched him drive away.

Since that day, he has done 2 side-by-sides:

1) Chicken thighs, done indirect at 375. The results were a tie with no discernable difference. Both cookers produced a fantastic end result. That said, he put the MAK as the winner because of the shorter pre-heat time. MAK was cruising at 375 within 18 minutes. The Timberline 1300 took 42 minutes.

2) Not a side-by-side, but he also wanted to see what the grilling power of the 2 Star was like. With the sale of the MAK, I included 2 of MAK's sear grates. He used the sear grates to grill burgers and reported back that he was very impressed!

3) After his chicken thigh experience, his next side-by-side was a low-n-slow St. Louis rib cook. One slab of ribs on each smoker... and each slab prepared the same. At the conclusion of the experiment, these were his words. "Both racks had the same basic flavor (same rub). Timberline smoke profile was subtle and clean. MAK smoke profile blew me away, very pronounced more so than my clean running stick burner. May even need to work on dialing it back some with different pellets and/or higher temps."

I saw pictures of both slabs of ribs, and I was actually surprised myself to see the difference in color alone. The MAK ribs looked like slow smoked ribs should whereas the Timberline ribs had more of a baked look to them.

So here we are in May, with this new MAK owners side-by-side comparisons just getting underway... and here is what he said last night. "I plan on a butt maybe next week, but no further testing is required. My mind is made up! The MAK is a better cooker in every way minus capacity." We talked about the capacity comment and how the MAK is deceptively LARGE! He's gonna be fine [emoji846]

His final parting comment last night... "the Timberline to be listed soon!"

Boy, that did't take long :)
Nice, thanks for telling my story to a T Robb. I remember that day Rob, we barley got the beast in my truck LOL...

Old 03-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #20
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Nice, thanks for telling my story to a T Robb. I remember that day Rob, we barley got the beast in my truck LOL...

Yeah, I’m still finding pellets in the flowerbed from the “almost” mishap... lol.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #21
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Thanks for starting this Robb! We have had our for 11 months now and love it.

Here she is smoking away
I hope all the new MAK owners enjoy the grills as much as we have
Wow. Impressive. Do you mind sharing how you did the wings and turkey?
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2020, 03:30 PM   #22
tom b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
Wow. Impressive. Do you mind sharing how you did the wings and turkey?
see post 17

Old 03-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #23
KevinJ

Grill Grates

WGA

Old 03-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #24
KevinJ

A few things I have learned in just under 2yrs of owner ship.

Unless you are just doing short grilling cooks like Burgers, Chicken parts, Sausage, Reverse Sear Steaks make sure the Fire Pot is cleaned out before the cook. My rule of thumb is if the grill has ran for more than 2hrs or I am going to be running for more than 2hrs for the cook I start with a clean Fire Pot. Have only used Lumber Jack Pellets and had a couple of flame outs because the Fire Pot was not clean even though the cook before were just short cooks.

The MAK has 3 different fan speeds they are

60% of max from smoke to 245
80% of max at 250 to 295
100% max rpm at 300+

When I cook Ribs I cook them at 245 instead of 250 to take advantage of the lower fan speed to impart slightly more smoke, maybe just a figment of my imagination and there might not be a difference but I'm going to take advantage of the lower fan speed when I can. When you bump from 245 to 250, 295 to 300 or vice versa you will hear the fan change speeds.

Hope some of you find this helpful.
WGA

Old 03-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #25
tom b

^^^ Good point Kevin. I clean the fire pot and exterior after each cook regardless of cook time at first I thought it was a PIA but it really takes like 90 seconds to empty the fire pot and not more than 5 min. total to have it all wiped down

Old 03-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #26
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Don’t have any pics to show off. Just wanted to say that out of all the smokers I’ve cooked on that the Mak is definitely my favorite. I’m a pellet head for sure. I did another throw down on a smoked chicken breast cook. Pellet won big time over charcoal this time. 4 wins for pellet, 1 win for charcoal, 7 ties so far.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #27
4ever3

So here’s the results of the biscuit tests... I started the grill and set it at 300°, once the temp was reached I let it settle in for 30 minutes. At the 30 minute mark I put the biscuits on and didn’t open the lid for 30 minutes...

Here’s the results of the first test with the thermocouple in the hanging position...

I totally expected the thermocouple being placed in the center would take the slight hot spot out of the center!

Wrong...

Very interesting me thinks! What are your thoughts?

For now, I’m done with biscuit tests, and ready to cook something we’ll eat!

A few patties with Oak Ridge Carne Crosta! DAYUM man!!!

The rub is a light on the salt side, which for us is perfect because we use Redmond’s Real Salt around here so the over the top salty rubs get used sparingly. Now we have a spice we can use liberally with Real salt! It’s a win win!

Some how, the Carne Crosta makes beef taste like BEEF!!!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #28
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
I have found that Carne Crosta is much more enjoyable on cuts cooked on the MAK than they are on the Weber using Lump, the flavor profile is just better.
WGA

Old 03-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #29
Marquez
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Marquez

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
A few things I have learned in just under 2yrs of owner ship.

Unless you are just doing short grilling cooks like Burgers, Chicken parts, Sausage, Reverse Sear Steaks make sure the Fire Pot is cleaned out before the cook. My rule of thumb is if the grill has ran for more than 2hrs or I am going to be running for more than 2hrs for the cook I start with a clean Fire Pot. Have only used Lumber Jack Pellets and had a couple of flame outs because the Fire Pot was not clean even though the cook before were just short cooks.

The MAK has 3 different fan speeds they are

60% of max from smoke to 245
80% of max at 250 to 295
100% max rpm at 300+

When I cook Ribs I cook them at 245 instead of 250 to take advantage of the lower fan speed to impart slightly more smoke, maybe just a figment of my imagination and there might not be a difference but I'm going to take advantage of the lower fan speed when I can. When you bump from 245 to 250, 295 to 300 or vice versa you will hear the fan change speeds.

Hope some of you find this helpful.

Great advice!

These details are helpful in approaching our cooks.

Is there anything else you can share?

My interest is max smoke flavor prior to searing for steaks, and then bark formation on ribs, brisket, and pork shoulder.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #30
tom b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
So here’s the results of the biscuit tests... I started the grill and set it at 300°, once the temp was reached I let it settle in for 30 minutes. At the 30 minute mark I put the biscuits on and didn’t open the lid for 30 minutes...

Here’s the results of the first test with the thermocouple in the hanging position...

I totally expected the thermocouple being placed in the center would take the slight hot spot out of the center!

Wrong...

Very interesting me thinks! What are your thoughts?

For now, I’m done with biscuit tests, and ready to cook something we’ll eat!

A few patties with Oak Ridge Carne Crosta! DAYUM man!!!

The rub is a light on the salt side, which for us is perfect because we use Redmond’s Real Salt around here so the over the top salty rubs get used sparingly. Now we have a spice we can use liberally with Real salt! It’s a win win!

your getting some nice color inside that cooker Jeremy