MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
Jeffm827i
Full Fledged Farker

Default Brisket Smoke ring Help

So my buddy and I have decided to do our first local KCBS competition in a few weeks. Yesterday I did a practice Waygu brisket. It was ok, I think I might have over cooked it doing H&F. Anyway I have not ever really been able to achieve a visible smoke ring. I used Post Oak and Pecan wood. I have used different rubs including simple S&P with Garilc salt and onion powder. Still same result. Not sure if using fruit wood will help (cherry), afraid it might in part sweet to the meat which is not the flavor profile I am looking for. Any how looking for advice.
Jeffm827i is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

fruit wood wont help

what kind of cooker is it?
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Scuffletown Smokers
Knows what a fatty is.

What kind of cooker do you use and what is your cooking process?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
pigville porkers
is one Smokin' Farker

I have had the same issues off and on for years also, did one Easter and ran 250-275 with apple wood and finally got a decent smoke ring

Last edited by pigville porkers; 04-27-2015 at 02:57 PM..
pigville porkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

In KCBS competitions smoke ring is not a criteria for judging, so focus on nailing the taste and tenderness.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

You say 'Hot and Fast', are you doing that for the entire cook? It is not uncommon for any cook that runs over 300°F to not have a smoke ring, or to have a minimal one. Lower your heat for the first 90 minutes or so, down around 225°F and then raise it. The smoke ring will be more noticeable.

I would note, however, that smoke rings are specifically ignored in competition judging, and I believe that for the most part, judges will ignore them. It is too well known that they can be faked. I would work much more on taste and tenderness, than on a smoke ring.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
You say 'Hot and Fast', are you doing that for the entire cook? It is not uncommon for any cook that runs over 300°F to not have a smoke ring, or to have a minimal one. Lower your heat for the first 90 minutes or so, down around 225°F and then raise it. The smoke ring will be more noticeable.

I would note, however, that smoke rings are specifically ignored in competition judging, and I believe that for the most part, judges will ignore them. It is too well known that they can be faked. I would work much more on taste and tenderness, than on a smoke ring.
^^^ This 100%

If you are competing work on what will win you the prize over what most judges won't take into account.

I cook hot and fast on my UDS and Weber kettles and I always get a very pronounced smoke ring regardless of what type of wood I use. I also start throw the meat on between 225-250 and then ramp up the heat after 45mins-1hour. I also do not wrap until the bark gets to the color I want.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm827i View Post
So my buddy and I have decided to do our first local KCBS competition in a few weeks. Yesterday I did a practice Waygu brisket. It was ok, I think I might have over cooked it doing H&F. Anyway I have not ever really been able to achieve a visible smoke ring. I used Post Oak and Pecan wood. I have used different rubs including simple S&P with Garilc salt and onion powder. Still same result. Not sure if using fruit wood will help (cherry), afraid it might in part sweet to the meat which is not the flavor profile I am looking for. Any how looking for advice.
Here's an interesting article on exactly what a smoke ring is and what creates it.
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...moke_ring.html

Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
Piggysquealers
Full Fledged Farker

meat absorbs smoke best when it is cold. The advice of starting the cook off at a lower temperature is really good.
Piggysquealers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
Fwismoker

Again ...What is your smoker?

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Jeffm827i
Full Fledged Farker

I am using a UDS.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Jeffm827i
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

That's what I will be doing. I have Just always wondered why I have never achieved the pronounced smoke ring. Flavor and Tenderness here we come! Got some work to put in.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
landarc

Cooked on a UDS, over lump and briquettes, wood was likely apple and pecan, started with meat cold after sitting on counter for 30 minutes. Cooker was at 225°F going in, vents opened to naturally rise to 300°F during cook. I believe this was most likely my basic rub, which is nothing special, salt, pepper, garlic and onion granules and a tiny bit of sugar.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm827i View Post
I am using a UDS.
You should still have a great SR even going over 300*. I'm always cooking my brisket or chuckies @ 275-300 and looks like lipstick.

You can cook part way @ 225 but you'll get a cleaner fire hence better flavor going with a hotter fire vs more of a smoldering fire. Cleaner fire makes better Q and if you have wood chunks burning through early part of the cook you'll get the smoke ring.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Here are burnt ends from a brisket I cooked at 225 for two hours and then raised the temp to 275 until done. (Straight pecan in my offset)

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote