Anyone use Wild Boar?

Badgeman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I'm sitting here waiting for the smoker to come to temp, the st. louie's are tucked into a warm blanket of my wife's butt stompin' rub, and I'm remembering one of my best all time meals here is MN: A local guy, who does amazing things with atypical fare served up an appetizer of wild boar bacon, and some other stuff, then a main course of sunfish. I can't stop thinking about that meal, but want to try making some of that bacon. Anyone ever use wild boar for anything?

I love it. A friend of mine drives down to Georgia once a year and comes back with a truck load. Coarse they are the feral kind. The meat is very good. Avoid the Russina hogs they are way to gamey inmy opinion. Also avoid the males, unless you like your meat to taste like it was marinated in piss and pine needles.

I have never hot smoked the wild pig but I cure it and cold moke it.

DSC09183.jpg

Gulash2009012.jpg

Gulash2009016.jpg

Gulash2009007.jpg

104_0002.jpg

Got this from my Sister for Christmas last year.

104_0004.jpg

It was very lean and tasty.

Go to the Broken Arrow website and check them out. They have a variety of wild meats.

Also avoid the males, unless you like your meat to taste like it was marinated in piss and pine needles.
That is priceless! And so farkin true. Sow or bar hogs make some fine table fare. Hunted hogs down here in the swamps my whole life.

Thanks for the advice and photos! I'm starting to think that there's nothing you can't ask this crew and get some good answers. Update: Smoker at 235, ribs on, pecan and cherry smoking nicely.

Back